Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

International Montessori in Ap Lei Chau - DESPERATE

casa directress is offline Registered User

Before you send your child to a Waldorf school, I URGE you to do thorough research of previous parent's experiences globally with the Waldorf method, and then Highgate House past parents. Montessori's freedom within a structured environment gives children the ability to create true discipline - the kind that comes from within, not the kind that works when an authoritarian enforces it. Waldorf is just free, so free that the children are left to their own devices for the most part of their time and suffer ultimately because they create fictitious worlds for themselves. How can you consider a method that supports children to do unpurposeful work healthy? Imagination is appropriate only after children have developed a sense of reality about things; i.e. how can you "imagine" about a tree if you have never touched a tree? Children under the age of six are only just getting to what is real. Be careful.

joannek is offline Registered User

casa directress, you seem to have a misconception of waldorf education like the rest of the people who are critical of it.

Have you had more than 1 year first hand experience at a waldorf school? from my experience, the effect only shows after more than a year of being in a waldorf environment.

i never knew what difference it would do to a child to go to a waldorf school. i read a lot about it & it's comparison to the montessori method. i didn't understand why it would be beneficial when i am reading about what it is about. i didn't see the difference in my child for the first year she was at Highgate house. but 6 mths into nursery, there started to be a difference. now that she's in kindergarten (she's been at highgate for more than 2 years), she displays an obvious difference to kids who didn't attend a waldorf school. when i ask other waldorf parents, we seem to notice the same things: 3-5 yr old waldorf kids listen better, play more harmoniously together,don't break toys on purpose, and are generally more easy to discipline (maybe because they listen better). i don't know why & how they do it, but this seem to be the general observation of waldorf kids & others.

also, i've ran into several parent who've had their kids graduate from Highgate (some times i run into them at the pool, at the mall, park). We started chatting about our kids & when the parent found out that my daughter goes to Highgate, all of them said "oh, you go to Highgate. we miss it so much!"

elizaveta is offline Registered User

I am amazed at rather aggressive critic of Waldorf education and Highgate House school specifically.

Well INDEED - ask the parents of the children that actually go there. My daughter goes to Highgate House school and I think this is the best school ever. Before putting her there, I made an extensive research, on this forum and elsewhere. I have yet to see a negative post on this forum on Highgate House School. But do search on Montessori - you will see MANY negative comments from parents that attempted to put their kids there.

joannek is offline Registered User

elizaveta, seems like we're in the same boat. i do agree on the negative comments on the montessori schools in HK. I personally had experience at IMS & Woodland Montessori in Repulse Bay, both left me wondering why the fascination with the Montessori method. I always wonder, is it because these Montessori schools in HK are not run well, or it's just not the way I agree with.

But haven't said that, there are some international critics about the Waldorf method, but mostly in the US, and the UK, where Waldrof schools are still young. Europeans, especially Germans & Scandinavians, like in Denmark, Finland & Sweden, seem to agree with the Waldorf method. Probably because they have the longest experience with it, hence able to see the results of Waldorf education on children.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I have to say I found the first day at school at IMS in Ap Lei Chau, confusing and I had no idea what was going on. (my girls were 18 months old)
    Luckily another mum there advised me on what the children should be doing, how I should step back etc. and yes the first couple of weeks was me, learning the Montessori way (and yes I got into a bad mood sometimes cause I didn't 'see' the point) but now 7 months later my daughters DEMAND to go to IMS every day (even Sundays hahaa)! They also attend Baby Buddies (finishing this month), My Gym, Socatots and love IMS over all these other ones!

I've noticed that they concentrate more, they have different preferences and 'work' on different things. Their Mandarin is amazing (only cause I dont know what they are saying hahahaha).

So the only two criticism I'd give IMS is that they should prepare the parents more for the way of "Montessori" and cheaper tuition fees lol

Both my hubby and I are delighted with their progress otherwise. And I'm a much more relaxed mum when I'm there :)

flo
    flo is offline Registered User

I have seen quite a number of messages detailing how the teachers would shout at the kids at playground in IMS. I have read in another thread how even school staff (in charge?) shout at other staff.

I always think our problem of rigid montessori will end if we have an AMS school...

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I have never heard a teacher shout at any of the students at IMS in South Horizon or Morrison Hill nor the staff shout at each other...
    Maybe someone is confused?

Montessori is RIGID?!??! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha That's funny!!

chungsara is offline Registered User

Hi, somebodyfamous,
    Glad to see that your child enjoy the life in IMS.
    I little girl who has just enrolled in the toddler class (19 months) in mid-April. She cried sometimes and even today cried more once the teacher approaches and not interested in the environment at all. How can I help my child to get involved?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast