Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Anyone employed husband & wife helpers before?

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Stanley, Hong Kong

Anyone employed husband & wife helpers before?

Will keep it brief, and would really appreciate advice.

I am considering going back to work. I have a great helper at the moment, and if I work, I would like to employ a second helper to help her with the extra workload. (I have 2children).

The two helpers would have to work well together, and my current helper has asked if I would consider employing her husband. He would live out in this scenario.

My question is has anyone else employed 2 helpers where they are husband and wife, and how was it? I'm not sure how I feel about this, I can see some advantages and some disadvantages. Or has anyone out there considered it and then decided not to. If so why not?

Thanks in advance.

Portia is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I employ 2 helpers, but they are not a husband and wife team. I am interested in a H&W team, but have not done it at this stage because it would mean releasing one of the helpers that I want to keep.

A friend who employs a H&W team advised that you need to make sure the H is someone who will pull his weight as some of the Hs that she has seen in teams just spend their time bossing their Ws around and not doing much work!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    The idea of employing my helper's husband strikes the fear of god into me! He is bone lazy as I have been told many Phillipino men are who send their wives off to work while they do little to nothing. I think it's a fairly common trait there though obviously not PC to say so.

I think a better option would be to offer to bring a sister, cousin etc out.

I also wouldn't want a guy (stranger) in my house with my kids while I am out.