Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Maternity Cover of 50k - Wondering to go private or public?

Dink is offline Registered User
    Kyojee - As we're both fairly new to HK and facing some of the same challenges, if you fancy a coffee and a chat sometime when your morning sickness will let you (poor you!) let me know. I live out in Pok Fu Lam but its easy for me to get into Central.

Catherine
    x

rebekah is offline Registered User
    we just got our eob from our stay at matilda. including pediatrician at normal delivery (had meconium in fluid) the total was I believe $87,000. Our insurance covered it, but thats a realistic estimate for you to go on...

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    It's worth noting that however much you estimate the delivery to cost- if you need, for example, an emergency c-section (which are common in HK, espec. in the private hospitals) any estimate you had will quickly go out the window. Emergency c-sections make everything a lot more expensive.

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User
    hi rebekah,
    can you share the cost of the pediatrician and ob doctor? what room did you choose? did you like the overall care at matilda? would you have done anything differently?

kyojee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gemmastarc View Post
    hi Kyojee

Adventist does not allow you to choose the preferred room class before hand, you would only know the availability of bed class upon the time of admission. Moreover, if you will be charged at the rate of your admitted class, (and not your chosen class)

^^
    Hi Gemmastarc,

Yes indeed. I spoke to Adventist and we would only know the available room/ward upon time of admission. There is no way to prebook a room type in any case, and charges would be according to the available room given to you. The staff was trying to explain to me, that if you are given a room with more privacy, and you very much prefer to have a standard room, you could choose to get 90% of your refund and go somewhere else. But I suppose, like most mommies, I won't want to be hopping around too much around my due date! :)

kyojee is offline Registered User
    Hi Dink!

I'd very much love to do coffee/tea together!! I hope my morning sickness would ease over time. Now, I'm so afraid of going out for fear of throwing up in public! Would send you a pm when I'm feeling up to it? :)

Hi Rebekah,

Thank you for sharing your experience. My OB did an estimate of 40+ - 50k for having a normal delivery with a standard room at Matilda, 120k and above for c-section. The nurse gave me brochures of various private hospitals my ob's and his anesthetician's charges for various room types. Though the figures add up quite right to be about 50k, I still think it's hard to have a good estimate. I could only try to have a rough gauge and hope everything runs well if I do choose to do the delivery at a private hospital!!!

Yes Bebyboo44,

I can't agree more!!! I don't think any estimate would be work well, we just have to be mentally and financially prepared if we go private. Though our insurance covers a lot more for c-section, I am really really hoping everything will go well as I wish to do a normal delivery.

rebekah is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by SyL View Post
    hi rebekah,
    can you share the cost of the pediatrician and ob doctor? what room did you choose? did you like the overall care at matilda? would you have done anything differently?
    I think hte ped was 7,000 at delivery. unfortunately the EOB is at my husband's work and he is in the states.

We had a private room, and of course, the care at matilda was wonderful, however, our insurance covered it. if it had not, we would have gone to Queen Mary, as it's right down our street.

If you are considering breastfeeding, I think it's great to go to matilda, but you can also get a private LC to come (there are some great recommendations on here) and see you in the hospital... this was probably what i used the most while there, just learning to position baby and latch on one side. you can know all the steps but every baby and breast is different,and matilda is very supportive. i was surprised that it was harder on one side than the other, where i needed no help.

Otherwise, honestly, a room's a room. you have a baby, nothing else is important, as long as you are both safe and healthy.

Tracey Nicole is offline Banned
    hi

hope this helps.

from what i hear, costs DO NOT spiral at either hospital and you can get a full listing of potential costs from your OB and the hospital.

I just delivered at the Matilda: natural, epid, ped visits, OB and OB viist and the total cost was 59K (22k of which was OB).

Friends delivered at the Queen Mary and couldnt fault the hospital. All of them also used Annerley services and some also had private OB's for scans etc.

Whatever you choose will be the best for you; both sound of very high quality.

Good luck.

Trace
    good

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast