Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Maternity Cover of 50k - Wondering to go private or public?

kyojee is offline Registered User

Maternity Cover of 50k - Wondering to go private or public?

Hello all...

I am about 9 weeks preggie, and my ob had just made a booking at adventist for me. I'm still trying to decide if I should confirm it with a deposit. My hubby has checked on his company insurance, and I'm very relieved that we are covered for 50k (normal delivery) and 100k (c-section). The sum could be used for all prenatal visits and up till delivery.

I've been trying to do an estimate of delivering in Adventist, and have been quite confused indeed, as it seems the total delivery bill could vary by a considerable amount depending on the type of room. Whilst we're ready to top up another 20k on top of our insurance, I guess it won't be possible at all to do a good estimate since we only know what room is available upon admission? Am I right to conclude that?

My real worry is that I wish not to have to put in 50-70k on top of our insurance (we certainly could use the money in other ways for our newborn.)

I have been considering to do a private prenatals/public delivery despite having the coverage. I am very very new to HK, and I really do wish the sums at private hospitals could be less vague!

I would be meeting my ob this saturday, and I would speak to him in detail on this. Does someone have a similar experience?

snagito is offline Registered User
    Hi! If you book a standard room at Matilda and a 'package' option, I think no matter what is available on the day/night that you are admitted, then they honour the lower rate. Not sure what the Adventist policy is though, best to find out. I think you need to budget a minimum of $75K for natural delivery at either hospital, doubt it could be done for less..Good luck with whatever you decide.

Dear Snagito,

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I would speak to my ob, and also to Adventist to see if they have a similar policy! It would be great if hospitals/doctors honour the rate for which patients had originally booked in for, instead of varying on room/ward type.

Yes I read some other posts and it seems it would be a minimum of 75k for natural delivery at both hospitals, probably more for Matilda, but am not sure. I guess it would be fine just as long we know we are in for.

Thanks again! :)

kmalia is offline Registered User
    There are many posts about expenses/costs at various hospitals, which vary greatly depending on your situation.

When you go private, you have to keep in mind that you are fully responsible for all the fees, including worse-case scenarios, which can cost quite a bit. I also hear that if you choose to go 'fully private' from the beginning - even if you have an emergency and have to go to Queen Mary (where the NICU is) they charge you a higher 'private' fee. Whereas, if you choose to deliver there from the beginning, everything is charged at 'public' fees. (see QM fees here: http://www3.ha.org.hk/hkwc/ppi/downloads.asp#fees)

If you are concerned about costs, I would think that planning to deliver through a public hospital, but supplementing with some private prenatal care might be the way to go, that way your costs can't get too out of control.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Hi there - I'm also very new to HK and discovered I was pregnant a week after arriving. I panicked and booked into the Matilda, but have since decided to go to the Queen Mary (we're not insured). Its been a weight off my mind not to have to worry about the cost, which can spiral out of control with the private hospitals I think. Obviously I haven't actually delivered yet, but have spoken to people who have been to QM and have good things to say about the excellent medical care they received there. You can also keep your baby with you the whole time (doesn't get sent to nursery). I've had a look round, and the facilities look absolutely fine (v. similar to the Matilda to be honest except you're in a bigger hospital). I've been to the Tsan Yuk for prenatal appointments and the doctors are patient, friendly, speak excellent English and seem very thorough. The only thing is, there is a lot of hanging around in the public system. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that being part of the public system is not scary at all, its absolutely fine - so if you do decide to go that way you have nothing to worry about. In your situation I would be tempted to use my insurance to cover private ultrasounds, antenatal classes etc. and then deliver at the Queen Mary (I'm still seeing my private dr from time to time and if at any point I want a second opinion), but obviously you must do what you feel most comfortable with.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm currently 32 weeks pregnant and I'm doing the half public half private thing too (similar situation, insurance would only cover $30K for us, so we'd be out of pocket a LOT and frankly, we'd rather do other things with the money than use it on a nicer hospital room) - I told my husband the other day, I'm actually more impressed with the doctors in the public system than the ones in the private!! I've seen three different private ob gyns and they were all quite rushed for time and always seemed anxious to get the appointment over and then run off to the next one. In the public system, they're not paid "per patient" so they seem much more willing to take the appointment slow, answer any questions, smile and be friendly etc... I do think that the private doctors are "better" if they know that you're with them for the whole delivery at a private hospital and everything... one of my doctors, when I told him I wanted to deliver at Queen Mary, acted like he couldn't be bothered "wasting" any more of his time on me!!

Hi Kmalia, Dink & Nicolejoy,

It's such a pleasure to have you share your opinions and experiences. I have no qualms about going to a public hospital for delivery actually. I read so much on this forum about about how well equipped Queen Mary hospital is for neonatal issues, that I'm actually quite inclined to have my delivery there (if my address is under their catchment.) The only reasons why I would go private is probably to utilize the maternity cover to its fullest, and on top of everything else, I find it very easy and comfortable to work with my OB, and am hoping to have him deliver my baby.

Kmalia & Dink, yes it's true how costs at private hospitals could spiral out of control in worst case scenarios. Since costs is definitely one of my concerns, it would take much of a weight off to do the delivery at a public hospital. I am not working right now, so I'm quite ready for long waits and hanging around. I guess it would be harder to get time off work (should I be fit enough for work after morning sickness goes away. Huh, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my chances of employment would be greatly hurt should I interview with a showing tummy.) I guess I'll be happier to work from home! No wonder there are so many mommy-entrepreneurs. :)

Nicolejoy, oh dear, how terrible that doctor behaved! I am certain some doctors would react in this way when patients inform them of their decision to go public. I count it as a blessing in disguise for you, that you won't be having him deliver your little one!

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences!!! "Speaking" on the forum somewhat relieves my morning sickness. Hee...

gemmastarc is offline Registered User
    hi Kyojee

Adventist does not allow you to choose the preferred room class before hand, you would only know the availability of bed class upon the time of admission. Moreover, if you will be charged at the rate of your admitted class, (and not your chosen class)

^^

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast