Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Weaning your baby while on vacation

NYCMel is offline Registered User

Weaning your baby while on vacation

i actually have a couple of questions as we are taking a mini holiday for the mid-autumn festival in mid-september. my 8 month year old eats almost all organic home-made food. he hasn't quite mastered the coordination for finger foods yet so he eats mostly chunky pureed foods.
    we occassionally give him jar food so that just in case we don't have it, he'll take it too as we have heard babies refusing jar food. we are flying to singapore and we might have to feed him lunch on it.

so here are my questions:
    1. without using a jar, what is the best way to store the food on the airplane? and perhaps for another day? is this even possible or will I just have to mash up fresh fruit purees with a fork?
    2. do airplanes allow food to be brought on that's not in a jar?
    3. during the vacation, is it easy to just have the hotel microwave his food?
    4. any advice would be great for traveling with food.

thanks!

Portia is offline Registered User
    I kept my LO's food cold using a gel pack until I got to the airport check-in at which point I checked in the gel pack. Then, as soon as I got on the plane (before takeoff) I asked the flight attendant to put the food into their fridge. At this point, the food was still cool to touch. The flight attendants had no problem with putting my LO's food in their fridge - a banana and a few very small plastic boxes filled with different things like avocado, tomatoes, steamed broccoli, cheese cubes.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    was the food ok with the gel pack? How long did it last for? where do I even get gel packs in HK?

Portia is offline Registered User
    I only used the gel pack from the time I left home until I checked my luggage in - about an hour. You can get gel packs from B2B (expensive) or in Wing On (cheaper) in the basment with the picnic/BBQ supplies. I put the gel pack into my luggage as I don't think it's allowed on the plane with the new security restrictions. The food was fine without the gel pack for an hour or two.

I also have travelled with a Fridge-to-Go from HK to Canada which was in my checked in luggage. After 12 hours, I recall that most of the frozen cubes were beginning to defrost, but they were okay and I was able to use them for the first few days until I could buy more food for the baby. Can't remember all the details now, but it's on another thread.