Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Introducing SOLIDS!

sprawld is offline Banned
    i have a question on puree as well. Is it necessary to buy a blender or can you just cook the food and mash it up like mash potato? I'm thinking of starting my baby on solids next week

LeahH is offline Registered User
    At the very least, I'd buy a hand blender. Makes things easy as in the beginning you need the puree very smooth. Later you can mash with a fork so there are lumps for them to practice chewing (or gumming). The hand blenders are great for travelling and very easy to clean - ours has been invaluable.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Meant to add, sweet potato puree was a huge favourite. I steamed it in small pieces and then mixed to smooth with the blender. Later, I would mix with organic cream cheese for a little protein. Sweet potato and apple is also a nice combo.

MLBW Guest
    Hi Clowe,

My son's formula consumption varies--the more solid food he eats, the less formula he drinks. His appetite is pretty steady but some days lately he is too busy playing to want to stop and eat much. Generally, I would say he drinks probably between 18-30 ounces of formula a day, depending on how much solid food he's eaten. I've read and been told by the pediatrician that formula or breastmilk are recommended up until at least the baby turns one-year-old.

Even with the amount of food my son is eating, there is probably no way he can be getting the amount of calories his growing body needs as well as the balanced nutrition that formula or breastmilk provide. I know some moms who also start feeding their baby goat's milk between 9-12 months as it's easier to digest than cow's milk.

Oh, and an interesting thing--my son until very recently, detested drinking water--he wouldn't swallow it--whether you gave it to him a bottle, in a sippy cup, in a dropper--nothing. We even added small amounts of pure juice to see if that would make a difference--still hated it. So...our solution was to start giving him small ice chips--he likes to suck on them and he can go through quite a few--that keeps him hydrated and prevents constipation (because he is formula-fed).

Hope you have fun with the feeding.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    For us, even though ours really seems to enjoy solids, we haven't noticed much drop in his milk in-take. I work so my helper gives him EBM during the day and he is still consuming 4 full bottle feeds (5 oz each) as before. And bfing with the same frequency and duration once I'm home (4-5 times, am/pm).

Clowe: My baby drinks anywhere between 0.5-1.5 oz per feed. Sometimes he'll drink lots, other times barely enough to wet his lips. I just offer it and let him decide. The main purpose is just so the solids go down easier. In the evening, we generally feed him at about 7 p.m. (2 hours before he goes to bed).

sprawld is offline Banned
    What brand of blender would u recommend?

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone!

MLBW- ice chips, now there's a creative idea... hope i get to meet your little fellow one day, when you're back from the States.

Peainpod, thanks for the info re how much water your baby drinks. Do you feed him from a bottle or sippy cup? How old is he now? Sorry if you have already mentioned this - had a rough night and mommy is exhausted :-(

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Oh, one more question to the mommies out there - in the first few weeks, did you offer the solids/cereal BEFORE or AFTER the bottle? I can see pro's and con's to both... I think a lot of people offer food AFTER bottle in morning feed (11am ish) and food BEFORE bottle in the evening (5-7pm ish) feed?

I've got such a good milk feed schedule now with my LO (FINALLY after lots of trial and error!), I am aware that introducing solids will probably throw everything into confusion again...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast