Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where's best for a 18 month old? Sai Kung, Lamma, Lantau, Cheung Chau?

Coby'smum is offline Registered User

Where's best for a 18 month old? Sai Kung, Lamma, Lantau, Cheung Chau?

Hi all,

We're thinking of moving out to Hong Kong for 6 months when my son will be about 18 months old and are wondering where the best place to live will be...

We've got a budget of HK$15,000 a month for rental so it needs to be somewhere cheap ish.

We love the idea of living centrally (Kowloon is our ideal) BUT we're thinking it'll be best to live somewhere quieter /with more space for our son - people have suggested Sai Kung, Lamma, Lantau or Cheung Chau? Does anyone know what sort of facilities there are for small kids in these areas? Or any advice about where to find details of rental properties in these areas?

Thanks in advance!

Helen

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Discovery Bay on Lantau. Lots of activites for little kids and space to run around (no personal cars allowed - only golf carts). Only a 25 minute ferry ride into the heart of HK Island! I loved it.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I lived on Lamma for 7 years. If you're only staying for 6 months, I'd say it'd be a good choice since your son won't be ferried to and from the island for school.
    No traffic on Lamma, no roads. Great beaches - one is gazetted. Loads of families with kids the same age and you'd not need to spend your entire budget to rent a 700sq ft flat there.
    Hope this helps.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Discovery Bay on Lantau gets my vote (because it's where we live with our toddler and baby),

For little ones you have-
    Lots of playgrounds
    Lake with fish and turtles that you can feed
    Beach
    Residents clubs with indoor playrooms and swimming pools
    Real grass that little ones can run around and kick a ball on
    Lots of playgroups, activity classes for little ones
    Lots and lots of other little ones to play with (and lots of other Mummy's to chat with)

Db is very accessible to central, as vegmitekid said- the ferry runs 24 hrs; we also have buses (every 20 mins) to the MTR (15 min bus ride) and airport.
    We are also very, very close to Disneyland.

Plus in DB itself there is everything you need for day to day living- supermarket, bank, post office, restaurants, doctor etc.

DB is cheaper, rent wise, than HK Island but not as cheap as Lamma, or the other side of Lantau.
    You would find something for 15k here though- if you don't mind living in an apartment in a relatively high rise apartment.

Sai Kung is nice but I really think you need a car if you live there. Public transport in HK is generally excellent but there aren't a lot of public transport links in Sai Kung and getting there by public transport from anywhere central takes an age!

Cheung Chau I think would be the cheapest place to live but the ferry there takes approx. an hour(possibly longer) and doesn't run all night.

Last edited by bekyboo44; 09-04-2008 at 12:59 PM.

asdasd is offline Registered User

Lamma

Lamma Island:yeah2

we moved here when our baby was 4 months old, baby friendly island and most of the Lamma folks are nice.

Coby'smum is offline Registered User

Great - thanks so much!

One other question - someone just advised us on Harbourfront Horizon... obviously completely different from Lamma etc as so central but we are a little bit tempted by the whole metropolis living!

Anyone had experience of living in high rise centrally with baby?

Going to look more into Lamma now as does sound great... where's the best place to look for rentals?

Thanks again!

Best place is http://www.lamma.com.hk

if u r lucky and got a place directly from the owner, then no commission required.

Otherwise there are a few property agencies along the main street, it's quite easy to find short term rental here.

Good luck and hope to see you here!

By the way, my little one and her international friends are more or less same age as yours. Let us know if you choose Lamma, then we can go to Hung Shing Yeh beach to have a splash together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast