Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yawning

adahc is offline Registered User
    Fenho have you every done the 9 montb blood test for your baby? Its a routine thing though to check the red blood cell. My baby yawn a lot and we just had the blood test 2 days agoTurns out he has slight anemia (which is commo but should be treated). That might be the cause of her yawning.
    Sorry I dont mean to scare you but you should get her check I think.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Fennho, is your baby showing any signs of tiredness other than yawning? Is she irritable? Does she become a real handful at the end of the day? If so, then maybe she does need more sleep.

I agree with Mum2 - sleep begets sleep - and also with Carang - put the bedtime forward by just 15mins every couple of nights. My personal view is that once babies get overtired they have a lot of difficulty getting to sleep. My boy goes straight into the cot at the first sign off a yawn. I am really paranoid about him becoming overtired as, when he does, he just will not sleep without a big battle!

fennho is offline Registered User
    carang
    will try to do so. My hubby is very happy with her bedtime now cos it means when he knocks off at 7pm and get home by 7ish, we call can have dinner with her around and he can still bond and play with her. He was always commenting that in the past when she was younger and sleeping earlier, he didnt have much chance to play with her except during weekends, and she kinda like "forgets" him pretty easily (cos he didnt get to see her at all on weekdays). During her newborn days, she totally reject him, cries everytime he carries her, but on weekends when my hubby can bathe her and play with her right from the start of the day, she'll be ok with him. So he's convinced, she "forgets" him when she didnt see him on weekdays. Anyway, i digress. That's the reason why we slowly stretched her bedtime to 8ish now. Which was fine initially cos she used to nap 1-2hours in the morning, and again 1-2hours mid afternoon.

mom2sofie&twins
    Thanks. How do u solve the problem above or does your husband knocks off so early or is he fine with not seeing the kids at all?

Sherwes
    Problem is, altho yawning and rubbing eyes, she is still very active, alert and playing happily.We start her bedtime routine (bath, change to PJs, story and nurse) aft our dinner at around 8pm, i try to get her into bed and nursing by 8ish but she always take around 30mins to sleep. I was mindful and keep the hours prior to her bedtime not overstimulated, cos i read they will fight sleep and take longer to "wind down" and sleep if overstimulated. But funnily enough, she's the opposite. If she plays until she's very very tired, she'll knock out pretty easily, yet if i keep the activity light, she'll take longer to sleep! *puzzled*

The other difficulty came from my own mom. I do want to put her to bed earlier, but my mom kept saying i dont believe her that i should let her play until she's real tired. Have countless of arguments with Mom over this. She kept saying i should listen to her as that's her "style" in the old days and she brought us all up (4kids). And it sort of proves her point when i took my gal to sleep early and she still fussed until 9pm before sleeping. I dunno if it's a Chinese/Asian thing, lots of my Spore friends also say it's fine and no one lets their kids sleep so early!

adahc
    that's an interesting point. Will bring that up the next time i bring her to PD wellness check up.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by fennho View Post

mom2sofie&twins
    Thanks. How do u solve the problem above or does your husband knocks off so early or is he fine with not seeing the kids at all?
    My husband doesn't see the kids during the week. He leaves the house at 6.30/6.45 am, and won't come home until 8.00/8.15 pm especially these days (financial sector). I can't keep them up until that time, it's too much for them. We enjoy family time during the weekend ... that's they way it has been for years.

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    We have the same problem, but we have also resigned ourselves to the fact my husband will only get see our daughter at weekends. Keeping her up was not an option as far as I was concerned as she was just getting too tired and then fighting going to sleep etc and she was just grumpy anyway so no quality time for baby or dad- didnt seem worth it.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Same with us. My husband sees our son briefly in the mornings but never in the evenings on a week night. My son just can't cope with staying up that late. My husband really cherishes the weekends!
    BTW - Fennho I am certainly not saying you are wrong for keeping your baby up. As you say, she is playing happily and it obviously works well for your family. It's just that if my son is awake any later than 7.15pm he goes a little bit mad and starts laughing, crying, laughing, crying, laughing, crying in 2 minute intervals!

marie313 is offline Registered User
    i found that my daughter would not sleep if i was in the room. for as long as i was there, she would open her eyes and want to play. in the end i had to get hardcore as we were spending hours in her room each night. so... we did the bedtime routine of bath, milk, brush teeth, story, **** **** into bed, mummy loves you then shut the door. for the first few nights she cried, but now she is used to it and goes to sleep straight away (most of the time!)
    you said you nurse her to sleep, but maybe you being there makes her want to stay awake and play????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Scroll to top