Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yawning

fennho is offline Registered User

Yawning

can i check with mommies do your babies yawn a lot? Mine does...like perpetually yawning. Even AFTER a 2hour nap, she will wake up and STILL yawns. Sometimes still can rub her eye barely 1hour later. Does that mean she not enough sleep? If i attempt to put her back to sleep, she will resist. Sometimes she will jus lie there, nursing, but with eyes open, dont want to sleep. Like jus "lazing" there. My fren told me yawn = need sleep. I'm worried she's accumulating sleep debt at such a young age. I read babies this age need 3-4 hours of daytime nap and 10-11hours of night time sleep. Mine sometimes can only sleep 1.5 to 2hours in the day, but night time still okay. Comments pls??

adahc is offline Registered User

If my baby yawn, i put her back to sleep. Sometime it's difficult. It's like when we woke up sometime but still need some slepp but either the room was too bring or it was too noisey or for some reason could not get back to sleep but stiill want to sleep.
    I will put an extra efford to put her back to sleep i.e. make the room pitch dark and use white noise of vent. fan as a background or something like that. She wll eventually go back to sleep within half an hour if she is still tired. If not she will find a way to tell you i.e make noise, tr to get out of your arm etc.

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Generally if my baby yawn, it won't take long before he falls asleep. If we are at home and I put him in bed and he starts to cry, I wait for 5 mn and take him back, and try again 10mn later, after one or 2 times he falls asleep.
    During the day his 2 naps can last 1 or 2 hours each, not more, and he sleeps 11hours/night (he is 9 months).

thanks..checking back on this thread cos my baby is STILL yawning alot!

Her sleep schedule is something like this now (she's ever changing, but lately it's like this)

6-7ish morning - Wakeup
    10-11ish - Morning Nap but only for 30-40mins
    3pm or 330pm - Afternoon Nap for about 1.5 to 2hours
    8-9pm - Sleep for the day

In total, i reckon she's sleeping around 12-13hours, which is more or less what babies her age are doing/need? But i dunno why she's always yawning when she wakes up. She also rubs her eyes which also means she needs more sleep. But besides yawning and rubbing eyes, she is wide awake and playful

I've tried ways and means to put her back to sleep including, patting, nursing, rocking, even lying down beside her (she naps on our bed, same at night) for the short morning nap she does now, but exactly 30mins (max 40mins) she will wake up even if i'm lying next to her and tried to quickly nurse her back to sleep. She will nurse but with eyes wide open, and then she will roll over and sit up and smile at me. Ok, so she's awake but then she'll give me a BIG yawn. I have attempted to gently pull her back down, nurse again, but she'll reject and sometimes will cry if i persisted. :(

What should i do? I'm worried all these yawning and rubbing eyes really do mean she's not getting enough sleep but she jus doesnt want to! Like today, she naps from 11 to 1140, then from 330 to 5pm. By 630pm, she was already yawning 5-6times plus rubbing her eyes. So i figured i'll put her to bed earlier and started the bedtime routine earlier around 7ish. Started nursing her at 8pm, but she was nursing in the dark with eyes wide open. Even attempted to sit up several times. In the end, she played around until almost 9pm and promptly fell asleep. So in the end, she still slept at 9pm despite my effort of letting her sleep early!

HELP!

cookiemum is offline Registered User

yawning!

hi fenho, i have an eight month old baby and am facing a similar problem. my baby has been a poor sleeper since she was 3 months so i started nursing her to sleep. now shes eight months old and will not sleep unless i nurse her. her pattern of sleep is similar to your baby only that she wakes up at 7am and sleeps at about 7pm and takes short naps in the morning and afternoon (only if she is nursed to sleep or i take her out in the stroller). even i get worried because sleep is extremely important for brain development etc etc... also i really feel guilty about nursing her to sleep but can't really think of another alternative.

cookiemum

i nurse my gal to sleep and naps as well. I'm not guilty about it (gone past the stage of guilt) as it's a very natural way to put our babies to sleep. I'm not into sleep training esp CIO cos cant bear to! :)

At least ur gal can sleep in the stroller when u take her out, mine wont! So i end up always have to choose between outings vs her naps. She can nap in the Ergo though, but only for 30mins max. So i take her out, her sleep will be even more shorter, and i will feel even more guilt! Mine used to sleep for the day at 7pm too, but lately as mentioned above, she sleeps around 9pm now. Which is okay for us, cos the Daddy knocks off at 7pm.

carang is offline Registered User

my 20 month old sleeps between 7-8pm, wakes between 6:30-7am and can sleep during the day anywhere from 30 min upto 3hr!!!

i think that maybe you should try putting her to bed earlier...but you can't do it all at once, you can only move it up 10 min or so every few days. even if she was going to bed at 8, that's an extra hour every day...

good luck!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I haven't figured out how old she is, but 8-9 pm bed time is pretty late especially when babies get a little older and aware. My oldest (4) goes to bed at 7.00/7.30 pm, my twins at 6.30/7.00 pm. When my oldest was 4-24 months old she went to bed at 6 pm, sleeping until 7 am. My twins would start going to bed at 6 pm around 3 months of age and around age 12 months we made it a little later, closer to 6.30 pm.

Overtired babies have more problems falling and staying asleep, sleep does beget sleep. My oldest easily slept 15-16 hours a day until she was at least 1 year old.

My twins, now 22 months old, still sleep 13-14 hours per 24 hours a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top