Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Job Description for Helper?

dagmarnyc is offline Registered User

Job Description for Helper?

Does anyone already have a comprehensive job description for a helper? I urgently need one. I have 2 helpers -- one to focus on my 2 year old and one for everything else. Given the disagreements that have broken out between the two of them, I need to intervene and my feeling is that using a more detailed job description may be a good way to start.

Apparently the older helper is being very disagreeable to the younger one (calling her names, yelling at her, etc). I am just not sure what to do

best regards

DB

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I don't have a job description unfortunately, but it certainly sound like you need to intervene!

Our 2 helpers (1 x FT, 1 x PT) sort of share the childcare and housework between them - that way no one is stuck endlessly cleaning the loo while the other plays with the baby.

Defining their roles will be important, maybe also make it clear that unless they sort this out in an adult manner both their jobs are in jepordy. The older one may feel she has history/experience on her side and can push the younger one out. If she feels her job is on the line also it may incentivise her.

Good luck

Thank you LeahH for your email. Do you think I should tell both of them that unless they make this work, I will let both of them go? ie either both stay or both go.

The younger one told me that the housekeeper in charge of cooking gives my daughter when we are not home expired food or food that is several days old. She also refuses to cook for the younger one when we are out even though I have repeatedly told her that she is cooking for the household including the two helpers not just for me. I feel in a double bind as if I tell the older one that I know about this then she might let it out on the younger one. Any suggestions?

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I don't think it's fair to just leave it up to them. It's time consuming but life is a lot smoother when you do provide instructions, expectations. If they are already fighting, how can you expect them to suddenly just work it out between themselves?

It actually sounds like your older helper is a bit of a menace. Feeding expired food? Not cooking for your daughter despite you telling her to? Calling your younger helper names and bullying her. It seems like she thinks she knows better than you. Not sure you will ever have a harmonious house if she is left to her own devices!

This might be extreme but you might want to think about whether you are actually happy with her work/attitude etc full stop and if not fire her, get someone new and start things out right with them.

Out of curiosity, do they have their own rooms or do they have to share?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    Yes I agree, I didn't mean leave it to them to sort it out between themselves entirely, but define roles / responsibilties and mediate or course.

However if you establish that it's a personality clash and not one causing all the trouble, ultimately once they have paramaters from you as the employer they have to take a lot of responsbility for making it work themselves.

It does sound like the older one is making trouble, but I guess you don't know if the younger one is entirely telling the truth.

Was she completely above reproach before the younger one arrived or did you have any concerns?

It's hard, if you decide youre happy with both and want to retain them, you've given them parameters and set out your expectations, then I would probably say - make it work or you both (could) go.

If you raise the issue of the expired food with the older one it will prob escalate the situation as it's only hearsay at this stage. If you can't prove this happened, to prevent it happening again or at least ensure she understands what's acceptable, could you pinpoint something out of date in the fridge and then ask where it went? Then say clearly that you'd prefer things are thrown away and under no circumstances given to the family - baby especially.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    was in the same situation, in the past year, our old helper of 8 years has driven away 3 helpers already, 2 of whom are her relatives and then also the one we hired thru agency. The one from agency only stuck it out for 6 days and would not stay even if we increased her salary. Now we have hired a young 21 year old from agency and told the old one that she has to make this work. No ultimatum spelt out though.

The reason I say this is, are you really prepared not to have a helper to help you? cos that is what will happen if all turns sour after you say "work it out or both go". And if they feel that it's not working out, they may look for a job without you knowing and suddenly spring it on you.

We have a 2.5 year and an 11 months old at home, so we decided that we could not deal with having no helpers at all. If you are fine with that, the best way would be to give an ultimatum. If not, please think twice before doing it.

thank you to everyone for your input. It most certainly helps. To answer some of the questions asked:
    Yes, I was happy with the older housekeeper until the nanny arrived
    They do unfortunately have to share a room -- although it is larger than most, it's obviously not large enough in these circumstances
    I did notice the keeping of expired/rotten foods several times and brought it to the housekeeper's attention. She assured me that she would do her best but that she feels bad throwing out food. I told her that I understood and also appreciated her frugality but that some things like everyone's health and well being were more important. I also told her if it was a question of money that I would increase the food budget.

I think it may be a personality clash which is being played out over specific issues (e.g. baby food). My nanny is the anxious type -- very protective of my daughter (much more than I am) -- My housekeeper is probably more like me -- a little more relaxed, less anxious.
    I have also never heard her yell at anyone or use bad words. The nanny tells me that she "inadvertently" recorded on a cell phone one of the fights that they had and that this record would verify her claims. My daughter really gets along well with her nanny.

I'm thinking of sitting both of them down to review their respective responsibilities, have them air whatever grievances they are willing to voice publicly and ask them to make it work. I would not like to have to fire either of them. They are both very different as individuals but given that they have to share, they need to make a decision as to whether they can live with each other. If they can't one of them has to decide that she wants to find another job -- until they do find another one, we'll have to make it work and I'll have to find a replacement.

thanks again to everyone. This was one day I really missed my girlfriends having just moved here in mid May.