Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby not interested in solids

geomum is offline Registered User

Baby not interested in solids

Hi,
    Any ideas on how to generate baby's interest in solids. My 6 month old eats a spoon or two of cereal/ fruit and then starts to fuss. She is quite active so making her sit still and getting her to open her mouth is so difficult/ many times impossible. I have tried turning the TV on while feeding her but that too seems to work for a few minutes only. I have been feeding her solids since she was 4 1/2 months, so I think by now she should take more than 1- 2 spoons. Any innovative ideas would be highly appreciated :)
    Thanks.

Neha is offline Banned
    Sounds like my son. He is 21 months and still a poor eater. When he was your baby's age we could still trick him in eating like one for mama, one for dada, look outside find me a car etc, but it is very difficult especially when they get older as they get stronger.
    I would suggest u not to force your kid to eat, let her eat whatever she wants and dont use TV as a distraction. She should know that its eating time and not tv time. Eating is per priority at that time.

Best of luck

tstmum is offline Registered User
    At 6 months, milk should still be the main source of nutrition. The recommendation is to start solids at 6 months, so I wouldn't be too worried at this stage and wouldn't push it if baby's really not interested. Talk with your paediatrician or go to a well baby clinic if you really are concerned. I agree with Neha - I would caution against getting baby used to watching TV while eating as this could be a very hard habit to break in future.

Yes I agree that milk is the most important source of nutrition for my baby right now, but I have heard from many mums that their baby are happily eating cereal and fruits starting 5- 6 months. I have seen other babies takign great interest in what their parents are eating.
    I don't want my daughter to watch TV and eat but without it she is totally distracted and does not sit still for even a few seconds :(

capital is offline Banned
    I went through the same thing with both my children. The first time I was concerned and tried every trick in the book but still didn't wrok, the second time I was much more relaxed and didn't worry about it at all.

I started at 6 or 6.5 months with the cereal. Tried mixing it with breastmilk, water, juice, pureed fruit, every consistancy, etc, nthing worked. The odd time he would eat it he'd only take a few spoons, but he could swallow it fine, so I knew that wasn't a problem, Nothing worked, so then I tried fuits and veggies and nothing worked there either, so around 7 or 7.5 months I gave him some puffed wheat and he would eat that, So in the end he didn't really eat solid foods until he could feed himself finger foods and he ate off the table, whatever we were eating. I also bought a baby food mill for meats, it grinds up food, but it is not as fine as puree and that worked well too.

My guess is that your child may be wanting more texture, so I would stop the pureed food and try table foods and once he can pick things up let him eat himself. I was always concered about iron as my children wouldn't eat the iron fortified cereals, so with my oldest, we did have to give him an iron supplement as he was anemic. I don't know if these are available in Hong kong but I bought in canada Nutrios which are like cheerios but have a higher iron content, and you can get toddler porridge which has a higher iron content too.

unity is offline Registered User
    my baby wouldn't eat her solids either!!!

i started her on solids at 6.5mths, for the first week, she loved everything i fed her including baby rice, avocado, brocolli, pumpkin but then we saw her pd for injections and he said she needs to have protein and advised me to include fish. Well, after I introduced fish (pureed wild salmon) mix with the baby cereal, she refused to eat anything i feed her. She is now almost 7.5mths. Nothing works. She refused to open her mouth. Does this mean she will be a fussy eater? I am afraid she is not getting enough nutrition. I don't top up her with any milk when she refused to eat her solids. I reduced feeding solids to just once a day. The rest of the other feeds I give her milk. BTW, she has had solid poo since we started solids. Her face is all red and she poos really tiny 'malteses' size about three times a day. I also tried giving her papaya juice while feeding her. She drank very little of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    hey unity,

i ddin't know we can feed fish to them so fast. the wholesomebabyfood says about 10-12months
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/fis...oodrecipes.htm

my baby, now 7 months, is going real slow with solid. so far, he's only been eating cereals and bananas. earlier on, when we fed him avocado, sweet potato and apples, he developed rashes. because of that, my sister advised me too to only give meats and fish after 12 months. anyone can clarify please?

geomum, up till only a week and a half ago, my baby was refusing solids like yours. then suddenly, one day he just started to open his mouth and demand to eat his cereal without hafing to trick him to :)

now, after some spoonfuls, i still need to "encourage" him to eat. i'd sing his fav songs or recite his fav story. once sentence... one spoon. it worked for us! when he turns his face away and clamps his mouth, i know he is full.

Thanks guys for your replies, after stopping for a few days, I started trying solids with my baby again. this weekend. As soon as she sees the spoon coming near her mouth she starts shaking her head and booing. When I try feeding her she starts to tear up and becomes very very angry. She is exclusively breastfed till now and I really want her to sleep through the night. Right now she wakes up 2- 3 times for a feed in the night. And I definitely think she wakes up because she is hungry, she couldn't sleep through the night on breastmilk alone for 10- 12 hours straight or could she? I also tried giving her formula and she completely rejected it. What more can i do at this stage??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast