Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

5 month old - gas problem - sleepless nights

mushi is offline Registered User

5 month old - gas problem - sleepless nights

my 5-month old has excessive gas problem, he always had it since was an infant and he is on Infacol since then, i have recently introduced solids but his gassi-ness persists. he wakes up often as many as 6-7 times at night and i am exhausted by morning...as suggestions on gas-free foods or ones that help reduce it? anything else that i can give my baby to help him relieve gas quickly? otherwise he is a cheerful and loving baby.

sprawld is offline Banned
    my little one as quite bit of gas as well when he was smaller.. what brand of feeding bottles are you using? I found that by using dr brown, it's slightly better..

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Hi mushi,

I highly recommend you wholesomebabyfood.com

If you go to "Baby foods by type & age", choose any categories you want and let's say you choose broccoli, you will see "When can my Baby eat Broccoli?"

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/bro...odrecipes.html

If you read it, they usually tell you whether the food may or may not cause gas.

I always go do a quick search at this site whenever I'm introducing a new food to my baby.

Hope it helps! Any questions, feel free to PM me :)
    Last edited by MeowMeow; 09-14-2008 at 10:16 PM.

dear sprawld and meow meow....thanks so much for the suggestions....the site wholesome foods is excellent....thanks so much for sharing it.

dfair1721 is offline Registered User
    Hi Mushi,
    Both of my children had excess gas. It lasted until they were about 10 months. It is horrible and tiring, I know. One thing that helped me through the nights is helping my daughter getting her gas out. I would pump/roll her legs into her belly. When I rolled her legs in I would gently push the sides of my hands into her belly. I would do this as soon as she woke up to feed (sometimes upto 15 rolls) then feed her and then do it again. It was amazing how much gas I got out and then she would sleep quite a bit longer as it was usually the gas that woke her up. Another suggestion is gently circling her stomach clockwise, this helps the air in the intestine get to the large colon, then rolling the legs up into the chest/tummy again. Sounds odd but it really worked for her.

As for foods, he is still pretty young. I would hold off veggies for a bit and stick with the cereals (rice, barley etc) and maybe start the starchy veggies like carrots and sweet potatoes when he is 6 months.

Hope this helps.

hi dfair, thanks for yr suggestions....i do that rolling legs for my son too sp. whne i give him a massage and it does help.....also pls. tell me did they cry a lot during the night due to gas and how often did they wake up? i had a terrible night last night when my son kept waking up every half-an-hour and cried in pain....and nothing would soothe him....horrible experience.....if i tried putting him down for the rolling of legs he would scream even more!

LeahH is offline Registered User
    It sounds awful and so tiring for you both, I wonder if you could try an osteopath? The treatments are a bit harder with older babies as they are more mobile, but Caroline Rhodes at the body group or Ines de Beer at OT&P are great.

does giving more water help the gas prob? how much water would a 5 month old normally drink??