Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Ending contract early

sfnative is offline Registered User

Ending contract early

We just hired our helper in May, but now we're moving back to Europe at the end of this year. I am sure this has been on the forum before, but can someone tell me what I need to do to inform Immigration and the Phil Consulate. I know we need to submit a letter to the Immigration department and pay for her returning flight back home. Is there anything I need to do with the Phil Consulate?

Thanks!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

If your helper finds a job she doesn't have to go home.

BettyHK is offline Registered User

Do your helper has already a job in mind or is she still looking for a new job?
    I am looking for full time Helper and prefer somebody who worked for European family. I also have time until end of the year so we could take her over.
    In case she has interest would you give me her details? Age, How long experience in Hong Kong etc.
    Please let me know and I can give you my eMail address.
    Have a nice day,
    Betty

phoenix17 is offline Registered User

Hi there,

This weekend I had a fisaco with my helper. We terminated her because we are going back to the States for a few months. Here is what you have should know.

1. Logon to the HK Labour Department's website. They have a guide to Foreign Domestic Helpers. The guide will give you forms to fill out.
    2. Give your DH 30-day written notice of the termination and have her sign it.
    3. Write a letter to the Director of Immigration to inform them that you have terminated the contract and provide them a copy of the notice of termination signed by your DH. You have to send this letter to Immigration within 2 weeks of the termination.
    4. On your DH's last day, calculate all the outstanding wages, annual leave, airticket, and have her sign a reciept of payment.
    5. If she finds a new employer, your DH will need to return to her home country to wait for the new visa.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me.
    My DH did not last until her termination date. She packed all her belongings and snuck out on Sunday morning without notice. Then she texted me on Sunday night to tell me that she does not want to continue her employment. However, she did not realize that she owed me wages for preterminating her contract before the termination date. So, she pleaded with me to come back...if I allowed her again in my home, I would be deemed crazy!

Hope everything goes smoothly for you.

joshsmum is offline Registered User

It is my understanding that instead of writing a letter to the Director of Immigration (as per point 3. of the post above) you are supposed to complete Form ID407E and they must receive it within 7 days of terminating the contract?

Link to Form ID407E: http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/id407e.htm

If you don't want to give them 30 days notice, you can pay them 1 months wages in lieu of notice instead.

mushi is offline Registered User

i hired my helper in march 08, took an extension of stay for one more year, sending her this dec to philippines for which i pay one-way fare. now if i terminate her contrcat in march, do i again have to pay her airfare for return to philippines? one-way or return? psl. advise.