Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Fetal anomaly scan necessary?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Tsuen Wan

Fetal anomaly scan necessary?

I`m scheduled to have a fetal anomaly scan this weekend at Union. Just this weekend I found out that my husband is against he. He said that he doesn`t want to know if there`s anything wrong with the baby. And he`d worried that if I find out something then the next 4 months will be filled with tears and anxiety.
    How many people have had this scan and would you recommend having it done?
    Also it`s about $1600HKD so I should also think a bit carefully about that.
    Thanks for any advice.

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    sheung shui
    I think it is a routine scan done at around 20 weeks to confirm due date and check the organs, bones and such. If they happen to find something wrong, it may be good to get it done early so they may be able to fix the problem. I am not sure how necessary the procedure is though. Hope that helps.

mushi is offline Registered User
    happy valley
    i feel it is an absolute case something is wrong you and your doctors would be more prepared to handle it and thye may even be able to fix it now which may not be possible is must sp. for women above 35 though nowadays all pregnant women go thru it,....ask yr hubby not to worry ...i am sure all will be well.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Discovery Bay, Hong Kong
    I would also recommend the scan- it's important to do because it can pick up on things that might be wrong with the baby that will require immediate or later surgery/treatment once they are born.

It is much better to be prepared and as Mushi says for your doctor to be prepared.

Plus if all is well in the scan then you have peace of mind for the next four months! For my first born I had the OSCAR test, came back very high risk for downs syndrome, the fetal anomaly test showed no physical signs of downs and so was much relieved for rest of the pregnancy.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    I think it's good to do. I have a friend who had a baby with a heart problem and with today's technology, they can operate on the baby BEFORE it's born if it needs it!! That will generally increase their chances for survival!!

I personally don't like the idea of amnios - it's too "high risk" and I personally wouldn't abort anyway... but the fetal anomaly scan has practically NO risk and more potential benefits. BUT it's totally up to you whether you want it or not!!