Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast Pump/ Expressing milk

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Breast Pump/ Expressing milk

My bb is only 3 weeks old and I have started expresing some milk once a day.
    However, I can only get 2 ounce for 30-45mins pump or sometimes even less on both breasts!

I wonder if this is too early to pump at this stage since my milk supply is not stable yet?
    I am using Medela Swing and I am wondering if I should also buy the Avent ISIS which seems to be better from reading this forum? I also feel hand express seem to work a bit better...

I am worried since I will be back to work after next month and need to build up some freezer stocks.
    Thanks!

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    We were advised to wait until at least 6 weeks before we start pumping --to allow the milk supply to stabilize first. Also, it would help if you pump more often, but for shorter lengths of time (no more than 10 mins per session).

Easier said than done, but don't get too hung up on how much milk you are able to express each time. Stress affects your milk supply. Good luck.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I pumped from about 2nd week for both my daughters, exclusively pumping after 4 weeks, no formula supplement. One till 9 months old and pumping for the other still at 1 yr, so in my opinion, it is not too early to pump. However, since your supply is not stable yet and currently pumping is not yielding much, you will need to direct feed to build up your supply.

Do you need to supplement? If not, then it means you have enough, just not from pumping. I have found the Avent pump to be much more efficient, so maybe you can rent it to try out to see if it suits you better.

I have enough milk to feed direct - she is gaining weight and having more than 8 wet and solied diapers.
    However if I cannot pumped enough this will be a problem since I will be away at work for at least 8-10 hrs.
    Any idea if the milk supply will usually increase after 6 weeks?

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by yuukalim0404 View Post
    My bb is only 3 weeks old and I have started expresing some milk once a day.
    However, I can only get 2 ounce for 30-45mins pump or sometimes even less on both breasts!

I wonder if this is too early to pump at this stage since my milk supply is not stable yet?
    I am using Medela Swing and I am wondering if I should also buy the Avent ISIS which seems to be better from reading this forum? I also feel hand express seem to work a bit better...

I am worried since I will be back to work after next month and need to build up some freezer stocks.
    Thanks!
    I had serious problems early on in breastfeeding so I started pumping at 2 weeks and there was no problem--in fact I pumped with a Medela Pump-in-Style for five months after that. If you are also able to breastfeed at regular intervals it may work out just fine for you too.

kashismum is offline Registered User
    yuuk,

When you go back to work, you'll need to continue pumping. I'd say you'd need 3-4 sessions for 8-10 hours.

Of course, it helps to have an emergency supply in the freezer.

I didn't start pumping until 4-6 weeks with both mine. Way too tedious IMO.

mushi is offline Registered User
    i suggest u pump frm one breast while u r feeding baby frm the other...it is tough to do this but once u get used to it u will realise how much more milk can be pumped out.....the natural flow is at its peak while the baby is at yr breast....i did this and had amazing results.....i used a hand-pump avent isis but i am sure u can do the same with medela too.....when at work keep yr baby photo next to u and try thinking of her while u express...it does give more results.

I bought the Avent ISIS manual yesterday. Personally I must say it works better than the Swing for me....still same amount of milk but much less time and effort! Hopefuuly I will be able to get more a bit later down the road

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast