Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

vaginal birth after c section

ninahudd is offline Registered User

vaginal birth after c section

I am in turmoil about the pros and cons of c-section or vaginal birth after having 1 section already (emergencey).

Any experiences or advice in HK. We would go public (did for the first one).

I am worried that if my scar opens there will not be adequate staff watching to pick it up quickly enough and get baby out safely.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    Hi- if you go through the public system they will always try for vaginal birth, even if you had a c/s first...as long as medically safe.

My private obs said 50/50 chance of having vaginal birth after c/s....I also had emergency c/s with my first and my dr didn't want to risk vaginal birth with my second, and so I had another c/s.
    However I know plenty of people who have had c/s followed by vaginal delivery and everything has gone fine.

Do NOT worry, if something goes wrong the first place you would want to be is in a govt. hospital, they are much better equipped to deal with emergencies than the private hospitals and can respond to an emergency situation much faster.
    All drs in HK, includ. public drs, are pretty cautious and I think you can trust you will be in safe hands.
    If they knew you had a c/s first time round so I am pretty sure they will be on high alert for any complications the 2nd time round.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Had a c-section at a private hosp for #1 and had a vaginal birth with #2 at a gov't hosp.

The doctors at Pamela Youde (PYNEH) explained to me carefully about the risks of VBAC, but were quite willing to help me "try." At the birth, they made sure that a doctor was at hand in case I needed to have a c-section. Everyone was very supportive and it was a smooth delivery.

if you go through the public system they will always try for vaginal birth, even if you had a c/s first...as long as medically safe
    What I was told by the doctors at PYNEH was that because I had a c-section the first time, I have an option to go for c-section again with the second one. I was the one who insisted to try for a VBAC.

Do NOT worry, if something goes wrong the first place you would want to be is in a govt. hospital, they are much better equipped to deal with emergencies than the private hospitals and can respond to an emergency situation much faster.
    Totally agree!
    Last edited by Buckeroo; 09-19-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: missing "quote"

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    From my experience at Queen Mary- I was admitted there at 28 wks with my 2nd pregnancy with contractions and they insisted that should I go into full labour they would make me try vbac- I was not given the choice of a c/s.

But in the end I made it to 37 weeks and had c/s privately.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    If you ent into labour at 28 weeks, the size of hte baby wuld make uterine rupture very unlikey. That's probably why they were 'pushing' (ha ha) for VBAC.

rach is offline Registered User
    i had a vbac with dr ghosh only 18mth after emergency c section. it was hard work but worth it for good recovery. I'm sure the doc would have preferred a repeat c section as it is a bit riskier but i did a lot of research and it is safe and uterine rupture unlikely if you have a good doc who knows the signs. After one vbac it really means you 'change your obsetric history' as one professional put it to me - i guess more babies naturally all being well. definately worth it for me and dr ghosh very supportive

jaceesperanza is offline Registered User
    I had a c section with my daughter around 26 mos ago. I have a heart condition but still insisted to try to give birth naturally the first time around (against doctors' orders). In the end heart failed and was given an emergency c section anyways. This time around I was still stubborn at first and was insisting for a vbac. But everyone seems to be against it including my hubby, the doctors, my in laws and my parents. Now I'm scheduled for another c/s on the 9th of April. I guess majority win this time. But personally I think a vaginal birth is WAY better in terms of recovery and the well being of both the mother and the child. IF only I have the choice call me stubborn but I'd try a vaginal birth again and hopefully succeed. ehehe