Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Antenatal Classes @ Tsan Yuk

Dink is offline Registered User

Antenatal Classes @ Tsan Yuk

We're expecting our first baby in Jan and will be delivering at the Queen Mary. I am booked to attend 3 English antental classes at the Tsan Yuk in December. I am wondering if anyone else has any experience of these classes and how they found them? Being my first time I am feeling anxious and would like to be as prepared as possible.... I am considering booking on Annerley Babies and Beyond too, but I don't want to waste the money (and time) if the Tsan Yuk classes are good and comprehensive. Thanks.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I just finished my classes there last week - they're OK - not amazingly great... but there were bits that I did find useful... The lady who presented our talks didn't have the best language skills - and in my opinion was quite "basic", not that comprehensive... The first week was "pregnancy issues" or something like that, the 2nd week was "looking after a newborn" kind of stuff, the 3rd week was "birth plan/labour and delivery".

I don't think that Annerley classes are NECESSARY... but I've read a few books and I've also previously seen a baby being born - and taken care of newborns (although this is my first born) - so for me, I don't think I needed it...

My opinion is, go to the Tsan Yuk ones, see what you think, and if you like - book Annerley afterwards if necessary...

I found the physiotherapy/exercise courses at Tsan Yuk actually more helpful than the prenatal ones... and also the breastfeeding one was pretty good too... but it's still gonna be quite "chinese" in style and presentation really...

YTV
    YTV is offline Registered User
    Hi I just finished my antenatal classes a month ago at Tsan yuk and found pretty much the same thing as nicolejoy, there were a few things that was helpful but most of which i already knew from reading books. The best class was the 3rd class looking after newborn, how to hold them, bathe them and tips on what to buy.

The english wasn't too good but because I kind of knew most of the stuff she spoke about you know what she means. It's best to sit at the front co's the mic there is a bit crap and you can't see the screen very well from the back. And get there early so you can get a good seat. Also bring food and drink incase you get hungry.

I'm starting my antenatal exercise in november and i'm due on Febuary 5th, I'm not sure if it's too early to do the excercise classes co's a doctor friend of mine said if you do it too early you'll forget how to breathe etc.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    The thing with the antenatal exercise classes is that you're not allowed to do the Birth Ball class if you're more than 30 weeks pregnant - and they're only on every 2 months or something! I wanted to do that class, but I just missed one, then the next one I was 31 weeks. So I didn't get to do it.

Some people I know did the first 2 classes (more about proper posture/back exercises/kegals etc) earlier in their pregnancy, then did the last 2 classes (the breathing/labour/delivery ones) when they were 30 something weeks pregnant.

Dink is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies. I went ahead and booked in to Annerley classes and I'm really glad I did, they seem fantastic, v. reassuring. Unfortunately I am a bit early but couldn't get in to the Oct\Nov ones - YTV my baby's due on 4 Feb, so you never know, I might see you at the hospital!! Nicolejoy thanks also for your feedback, I will be sure and get a note from Annerley re. using the birth ball etc. (I think the Queen Mary are okay with that).

Best wishes to you both,
    Catherine