Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Melamine in Mainland Milk Powder Updates

bobby8 is offline Registered User
    I think that list is of products that have been removed from the shelves of supermarkets in Singapore. Many of those products have not been tested for melamine so we have no idea if they are contaminated or not, but the supermarkets are erring on the side of caution and are simply removing any items with Chinese milk ingredients in them first.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Steph, if you're waiting for Chinese companies to admit to adding melamine to their products you could be waiting a long time.

54,000 kids are in hospital, 4 are dead. I'm going to err on the side of caution, like the supermarkets in Singapore. If we were talking about 3 people getting sick at MacDonalds i would agree it would be inappropriate to encourage paranoia but we're talking about something of a completely different scale. My family's health comes before anything else.

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by arleneli View Post
    Hi..
    Kowloon Dairy imported their milk from Guangdong, China and do the packaging in Tuen Mun. I think you should wait until the government do the testing on their product before starting to consume their milk. It's safer that way.

Milk from Kowloon and Trappist Dairy were tested yesterday and are SAFE

http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/whatsn...tests_0924.pdf

stephchoy is offline Registered User
    thanks for the clarification on where that list is from, bobby8.

obviously a difference in opinion, aussiegal. i just like to verify any information first before i send it out to people.

of course the health of our children is of paramount importance, but its ridiculous that there are panicking mothers taking their children to hospital for checkup that have not even been fed any products manufactured in China and do not have any symptoms. they are taking up services and time that could be spent on children that actually need it.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Steph, i don't think you can blame mothers for being concerned about their children. The reality is that hospitals here have not put the appropriate measures in place to handle such situations.

Besides, I'm sure the number of children who haven't had milk etc from the mainland but have gone to hospital is minimal. If you read the papers you will see that most have been drinking milk and formula that does in fact come from China and I'm not surprised they are worried.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User
    I am also erring on the side of caution- and any trust I had in Chinese manufacturers is lost! I have banned all chinese dairy products from our home- my family's safety comes first!

People are bound to panic- and bound to seek reassurance.

stephchoy is offline Registered User
    For more information on Singapore's measures -http://www.ava.gov.sg/

I'm not saying don't err on the side of caution, but I'm just making the case that we should also be careful when you're spreading information. There are lots of people out there who take advantage of situations like these and create unneccessary fear. It appears Singapore government is certainly exercising caution by pulling all products with any Chinese milk in them even if they have not been tested. But you'll also notice that they are also advising people not to be unduly concerned - a child would have to drink 4 litres of Dutch Strawberry milk on a daily basis over a prolonged period of time to have any ill effects. Actually, there's no way of knowing if there are any products not manufactured in China but have Chinese milk ingredients. So I guess the safest thing really is to go back to basics - avoid all non-processed food which may have dairy products in them at all and make sure you're exclusively breastfeeding your babies.

Look, sorry to get everybody worked up - I just hate hoax emails, that's all and the email I got looked suspiciously like one.

carang is offline Registered User
    i got the sms too!.... i wonder who is sending it out?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast