Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What do you do with your baby below 12 months during the day?

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Hi there, I have read a lot of research which suggests that babies come into a light sleep and can wake up around every 45 minutes during the night. The trick is for them to learn to put themselves back to sleep. If not they will wake up and wait for their parents to rock them, hold them, pat them to get back to sleep again. Which can then happen many times during the night.
    It sounds like your baby may have just got into a pattern of waking up at this time perhaps due to teething, light room, unusual sounds or something else and is now in a bit of a pattern. Does she still nap during the day ? Maybe you could cut back on one of these naps if she is.

What do you do when she wakes up ?

It sounds like you are doing some good stuff during the day but you can also try varying the things you do during the day to see if that makes her a little more tired. Any kind of physical activity will probably help. I find swimming is a great one for making my little one tired. He always sleeps really well after a swim or an outing. You can also go for walks or a play on the beach or in the playground. Even young babies can sit on playground equipment as long as they are held. Ball games - just rolling and kicking are great for practicing their body control. If they are sitting up you can roll the ball and standers can try kicking it. I also try to vary my day with him. I do a range of activities with him even though he is only 7 months old to make sure all areas of his development are being covered.
    We have some time where we sing along to Nursery Ryhmes and songs. I sing (badly) and he jabbers away too. I also read him lots of stories this will help his language skills develop. There are many creative activities you can use with young children too. If you want some ideas you can email me at www.ladybirdlessons.com
    Hope this helps.

FShah is offline Registered User
    Thank you so much for all your invaluable insights on this.

Well, she naps twice during the day, once at 1030 for half an hour and another at around 230 for an hour at most. So there is not much that I can cut back on for her nap times.

You are right fhurley, she is definitely in some pattern now & I'm trying everything I can to get back to her old habit of sleeping through the night. Everytime she wakes up, she goes straight to a sitting position then stand by her crib, THEN she'd make some noise to announce she's awake. I've left her for about 10minutes (watching her though out of her sight) after which she would start wailing for me to come to her. I'd normally just rub her forehead, cheeks or back and encourage her to go lie down, but alas she would just refuse and instead bop up & down. I'd then pick her up and lie her on my tummy for her to sleep but she would just squirm and start playing. She is not teething at the moment, so...? Should I try any other way of putting her back to sleep?

I'd try swimming for sure, though we do not have any pool by our estate so I'd see which public pools are closest to our place. Our days are varied, mostly walks, playground we do play 'soccer' at home (catch-throw like you mentioned) and she loves books & story time. yes Nursery Ryhmes & songs come second too (though a tad squecky!). Just that sometimes I'm so brain dead to think of anything else new for her............ Thank you fhurley, I would definitely look you up for some more ideas!

fhurley is offline Registered User
    Sorry my email should be [email protected]

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi FShah, just to answer your question - my baby went through that stage in the 3 weeks that he was learning to crawl. He was awake for up to 2 hours at a time. After 3 weeks we actually did controlled crying which I know isn't to everyones taste. You do need to have the stomach for it...
    The level of activity during the day doesn't seem at all to affect how long my baby sleeps. Strange but true.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Fsah,
    Are you talking about my baby??? She is coming 9mths too and very clingy and hates to sleep because she is afraid of missing out any fun. She is a very active and curious baby, loves to bounce up and down now in her crib and standing up most of the time.
    Her naps last like only 30mins sometimes and she wakes up at any slightest noise.
    As for sleeping at night, these days she must sleep on her tummy, put her down, she rolls over right away. And when she wakes, lifts right away, crawling a bit, usually crying for me.....These days, she only wants me and cries easily asking to be carried at slightest things...
    I know how you feel, I need to be around 24/7... the other day, I turned my head like 2s away and she slipped and knocked her head...luckily it was minor
    As for daytime activities, I am trying to do some teaching, flash cards, listen to songs, singing together, oh she has got a walker too, though she refuse to sit on it sometimes. I don't take her out too far as she can be very vocal and cranky, so usually to the shopping malls nearby.
    I will really love for her to meet more babies her age,like an informal playgroup, trying to organize a get together...

If you have good ideas what to do with your baby do share with me!!

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    oh btw my baby also has no teeth yet, so maybe its teething???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12