Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you do with your baby below 12 months during the day?

FShah is offline Registered User

What do you do with your baby below 12 months during the day?

Hi ladies!

Do need some thoughts on this, lately my daughter who is almost 9 months old - who is very active - has been waking up at night at around 10pm just so she could play.
    She doesnt fuss or is cranky just that she wakes up & simply loves bopping up & down in her crib & refuses to sit or lie down. She goes back to sleep almost midnight or slightly after. She has been sleeping through the night since she was 2 months but now the sudden change has just left me flabbergasted. :)

Is this because she doesnt do enough during the day? She is very active & is up & about, mostly on her feet during the day. She plays, occasionally sees other babies & goes for often walks.. she sleeps at most an hour half during the day. She has a big appetite too.. Am just wondering what else should i get her to do during the day in order for her to be so tired at night to get her all night sleep... She is almost 9 months & i wonder if I am not doing enough with her during the day? What activities do you guys have with your little ones who is less than 12 months old the whole day? I'm hoping with your ideas i could incorporate soemthing new for my lil one.. she is so active, I wonder if it's something I ate (i'm still b/f) or was i so active during my pregnancy that now she is following suit

plumtree is offline Registered User
    You sound like you're doing more with your baby in the day than my little guy does so I wouldn't worry! He naps in the day (2-3 naps, totalling maybe 3 hours) but the naps are getting shorter. Sleeps at about 730 to 630am. Maybe it's a phase she's going through? Or I find that a short swim really knackers my little guy out - he has a long sleep after :-)

But to go back to your question, my little guy is very active. He goes for walks in the stroller, sometimes sees other babies, likes standing up in the cot or playpen(supported), likes crawling, going for rides on his ride on toy, likes making a mess & destroying things....

I was very active in my pregnancy too!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    I think all babies wake in the night. It's just that some settle themselves back to sleep without assistance and some don't. Has your little one just learned to crawl? I read that when babies first begin to crawl they have difficulty settling themselves back to sleep because they force themselves wide awake in order to go off exploring the "world" using their new found crawling skills!
    My baby certainly went through a period of being unsettled at night when he first learned how to crawl. I don't know what explains the last 3 nights of night waking with mine though!!

plumtree, ure so lucky he gets his 2-3 naps! mine limits herself to just 1 so she could play, & thing is she climbs about everything & destroys most things that im the one whose knackered when the clock strikes 7pm!

sherwes - I guess mine is one of those who needs more than just assistance to get back to sleep! She actually skipped the 'crawling' phase. She was able to sit by 6-7mths & then she went to sliding from one place to another using her bum then standing n going from one spot to another by holding onto something in a standing position. Now all she does is stand in her cot all night when she wakes up. They do know how to choose the timings to "explore the world"! :p She gets grumpy when i put her back down to lie down or sooth her by my shoulders to sleep. I'm wondering how long will this last as this has been going on for a month or so now.. How & how long did you settle your baby back during this period?

clowe77 is offline Registered User
    Fshah - my 5+ month old does the same, starting at 3-4am - he has not yet learned to crawl or push himself up to sitting but boy does he squirm!!! using his bum like an inchworm, he scoots his way up to the top of the bed, and often rolls over, wide awake, wide eyed. so far this hasn't been a huge problem as i'm able to roll him back and pat him back to sleep after a minute or two. but if it's after 6am and getting light in the room, he won't settle back and is usually happy to just play in his cot til closer to 7am.

Does light seep through into the nursery during the night? I find that when my LO sees light it is a signal that it's day time and thus play time. I wonder if it is pitch black in your baby's nursery when she starts to wake and want to play?

Ah ha! That might just be it! Yes some light does seep through into the nursery since the living room is parallel to it. I'm gonna test this out & see if its pitch dark during the times she wakes up,will she or wont she play. It has been going on for so long, i'm sometimes so cranky as its those times when she goes to bed i catch up with the rest of the things around the house & what nots. I dont have the heart to just leave her inside alone, as she would start wailing.

Also during the day most times when she plays, i have to be there probably 95% of the time. Does any of your babies have this "clingy" personality? Sometimes I do get so riled up having to look after her the whole day, & now during this "exploring" times of 10pm till midnight or later.... I feel bad for being selfish..

plumtree is offline Registered User
    I know the feeling...but then I tell myself that time flies and soon they'll be teenagers, too cool to talk to mum. (and there are some times, I wish time would fly faster! ;-)). With my little monkey, it's not so much that he can't stay alone. He can sit in his cot and play for quite a while (up to 20 mins sometimes). It's just that leaving him anywhere else isn't safe as there's no knowing what he'll get up to. I have these baby proofed areas in the house where I can leave him, pop off to do something, shout something to him so he hears my voice, run back to check. That's the only good thing about small HK flats!

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    my baby is 7 months, doesnt like the cot, and i put him there when i need to pee ;)

so he's always on the floor in the living room with me. (with those padded floor foams) he's quite happy for now to creep around, explore and play with his toys but i have to be around to keep an eye on him. while he does his thing, i read a book or surf, like now.

i try not to hover around and just let him be as long as he is safe. i try to change his position or attention every 30 - 45mins, this keeps him from being frustrated. so it can be from tummy to sitting in his bumbo to read him a book, or standing on my lap and doing some jumps or i'll carry him and do the house chores together in an ergo.

so yea... clingy??? i think you can put it that way :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast