Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

repulse Bay vs pokfulam

Charlie3 is offline Registered User

repulse Bay vs pokfulam

Hello Everyone.. my husband, 5 month old daughter & I are moving from Australia to HK early next year and we are coming over in a couple of weeks to look at apartments and areas to live and need to choose a couple of areas to look at with a relocation consultant.

From what I have read I am interested in Pokfulam and Repulse Bay. I'd prefer to be out of the thick of it but want to make sure that there are facilities for my daughter and I so that we can get out and about, go for walks/shops/parks or beaches etc during the day. We will have a car but I love walking!

Does anyone have any initial advice on either Pokfulam or Repulse Bay or any other areas that I should consider looking at?????

I know this is very broad at this stage but we are just in early days of researching.

THANKS..

carang is offline Registered User
    sai kung might be another option...

db if you don't necessarily want the hassle and expense of a car...

carang is offline Registered User
    have you ever been to hk?

AussieMum is offline Registered User
    Dear Charlie3,
    Sounds very familiar. My husband, 8 month old daughter and I just moved to HK four weeks ago and have settled in Pok Fu Lam. We had never been to Hong Kong before, except for one weekend around 2months ago for one weekend, which was spent with agents trying to find a new apartment. We looked at so many areas, but settled on Pok Fu Lam. We are really happy with the area, it is a little out of town but still close enought for my husband to travel. So far so good. The weekend we were looking, there actually wasn't anything in Repulse Bay that was within our price range (everything was much lower, or too high) so we didn't actually get to explore this too much.
    If you are are interested, send me a Private Message with your email, and we can meet up when you get a chance.
    Good luck with the move!

Thanks. We are over there next week to be shown around by a relocation consultant but dont have much time so i just wanted to make sure i am on the right track with the areas that we have asked to see.
    I'm sure I'll have more questions once we have had a look around....

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    We live in Tai Tam, close to Stanley, less than 10 minutes from Repulse Bay. Personally I prefer the RB - Stanley - Tai Tam area. It's greener, quieter, less big high rises, and lots of mommies with children. It just has a slower pace, but yes it's a little further from Central, and traffic can be a little crazy during rush hour. My friend lives in Pokfulam, loves her place, her husband is very happy with the commute (it's close to Central) but if she would choose again, she would choose for this area. Her personal experience is that relatively a lot of mommies who live in Pokfulam work to some extent (probably because of the proximity to Central).

But it also depends on your budget, everybody's different. We needed 4 bedrooms, so choices are limited, especially if you don't want to go over board (and we're still paying a considerable amount). We had a pretty good deal here, our friends in Pokfulam pay $16k more than we do. But it's closer too. Repulse Bay is considered expensive as well.

I would also look at Stanley and Tai Tam (Manhattan / Pacific View) as well. A little further, but very child friendly, we like it here.

I'll add Stanley and Tai Tam to the list of places to see next week! Thanks...