Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Holle Organic Rice Porridge Question

unity is offline Registered User
    forgot...

healthy times is fortified but holle is not...so i mix ground dried parsley (recipe from the book Simply Natural Baby Food) to the oats to boost the iron level.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Unity,

That is an interesting idea with adding parsley...i had just read that parsley is really high in iron. At what age did you start doing this?

rebekah is offline Registered User
    cyberfish, in a study of babies exclusively BF babies for 7 mo ( I think you LO was for 6? close enough? lol) who received no iron supplementation had no cases of anemia at 1 year. This only applies to exclusively BF babies, though, I don't know your exact situation. for more info look here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html
    and
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

unity is offline Registered User
    hi cyberfish88

according to the book, can start from 7 months so i did. i ground the dried parsley leaves in the processor and put in a clean glass jar. that way, each time i feed her anything, i have the option of adding the parsley or not. so far, it hasn't made any difference to her taste...what she hated before..she still hates...what she likes (apple and banana sauce) she still likes with the parsley. since it is dried parsley, you can add just a little (a couple of pinches since dd only eats about a tablespoon of oats plus whatever sauce i give her) whereas fresh parsley you will need to add triple the amount.

recently, i just tried pear and blueberry puree...luckily, she doesn't seem to be allergic to the blueberry...i added parsley to this too!

good luck!

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Rebekah, Thanks for the links. Actually reading those has calmed me down quite a bit about iron and made me realize there is no hurry for solids. My LO has been EBF for just over 6 months.

Unity, I will try the parsley in a month or so!

rebekah is offline Registered User
    Glad I could help... I read them when trying to decide whether to continue to delay solids or push forward. Since Z is ebf I found the iron issue to be the one thing that really held me back, as the other benefits seem to be based on the idea that things happen in the 4-6 month range, and therefore erring on the side of caution. It's coming up soon! and she is getting really, really excited about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12