Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holle Organic Rice Porridge Question

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Holle Organic Rice Porridge Question

So I just bought the Holle Organic Rice Porridge to give to my daughter as her first solids. Now that I have it and am reading the instructions, I am confused. It says I need to add it to a liquid (water or milk) that is about 50 degrees C (122F) and then cool to body temp. Does this mean I should be heating breastmilk first before adding the cereal? Is it advisable to heat breastmilk? I thought I was buying a cereal that I just could add lukewarm EBM to and serve. Did I buy the wrong stuff? Has anyone used Holle before and can tell me how it works?

Thanks! I am a nervous mother anxious to give my 6 month old solids but afraid to do anything wrong since this will be the first solids that she eats!

Matty is offline Registered User

This sounds way too complicated.
    What age recomendation does the box have on it?
    It's sounds like it is making an actual porridge, rather than just cereal.
    I'm sure it's fine, but there are simpler cereals on the market.

I used an organic brown rice cereal for J, which I bought from Great.
    It was just mixed with a little formula or BM, room temp was fine.

clowe77 is offline Registered User

Hi Cyberfish! As I mentioned, I use Healthy Times Organic Brown Rice Cereal but I forgot to mention you can get it at Park & Shop, Taste and probably Great too as it's part of that network. I just mix with warm BM or formula.

Good luck :-)

Frenchy is offline Registered User

For all the porridges I've given to my son, from different brands, I've never heated the water/milk before, just put it on normal temperature and mix very well, and it was fine... just try as you first thought.
    As it's the first food, just make sure it's more liquidish... and get prepared to the fact your baby might be a bit constipated during a few days.
    Good luck ! :)

joshsmum is offline Registered User

I started solids on Saturday (using Farax Baby Rice I bought back from Australia) and I've just been mixing it with EBM that I had in the fridge - I haven't been heating it or warming it. Josh has taken to it fine - he loves it.

Not sure about the Holle product though, sorry!

How's things going Cathy? - haven't seen you in ages!

Belinda

rebekah is offline Registered User

I agree, i think that's just if you want it to be "porridge" but just mixing it with BM should be fine (we bought the same stuff ,but aren't planning on using it JUST yet as Z is a bit younger than your little one) We miss you!

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for the comments! It does seem complicated but what is odd is that the box says for 4 months and above but then tells you to mix with half water and half whole milk! I think I will try it out with EBM and then go look for some other brands.

But now I have a question about iron-fortified cereals. I have been reading that iron stores run out between 4-6 months so there needs to be iron in the solids and the best way to get this is through iron-fortified formula or cereal. Since I am not using formula, should I be specifically seeking out iron-fortified cereals? I notice that this Holle brand has vitamin B1 added but that is all.

Clowe, is Healthy Times fortified? Did the rest of you specifically look for ways to add iron right at the start?

unity is offline Registered User

hi
    i am feeding dd the holle organic oats. the box's instruction is way too complicated so i just add room temperature water or milk and it dissolves just fine. i also gave dd healthy times organic brown rice previously which i mix the same way as above so no problem!

right now, the only thing she will eat 'willingly' is the oats mix with apple and banana sauce. i am now worried she only likes sweet stuff!! is this normal? she didn't seem to like the other foods i used to feed her like avocado, broccoli, sweet potato, salmon, etc. sigh!
    hope it helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast