Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Changing units vs tables?

babyumma is offline Registered User

Changing units vs tables?

Hi all, which would you recommend - changing unit (able to change baby's diaper on top of a set of drawers) or changing table (which can be fixed on to the cot)? The latter is space-saving but some say might not be very safe for the baby? Welcome all comments!

MLBW Guest
    I think that either is fine. Once you've changed a diaper a hundred times or so you get so good at it that you can change it anywhere almost and as far as baby safety goes--the only way either of those options become unsafe is if you leave the baby unattended as they may move or roll off. But, for your spine's sake, I recommend investing in something that is at a good height that is comfortable for you when you change diapers. If you're doing that 10 or more times a day (which is normal) you'll be really thanking yourself that you bought something that is functional and saves you the pain of bending over a lower surface--especially as the child gets bigger and heavier and you have to not only change them but also pick them up and put them down afterward.

carang is offline Registered User
    even better....THE FLOOR! or the bed!
    they're free....the baby will not roll off of the floor (could off of the bed)....saves space, you already have both...if you put a changing mat down, then you don't have to worry about cleaning it... doesn't need any extra dusting....

really there are so many things out there that the "baby shops" make everyone think they MUST have, it's crazy...

yes, i bought a changing table when i was preggers with #1... after about 2-3 months, we were only using it for storage!

with #2, used the floor. MUCH easier and saved $$$...

mumto2 is offline Registered User
    anything that it high enough to save your back! I used a chest of drawers that converted to a changetable for my first but to be honest, I just used the bed or the couch (wherever I was) for my second. Its not an "essential" BUT doing it somewhere comfy that doesn't hurt your back is...

BabyG is offline Registered User
    I didn't bother with a changing table. I just used a waterproof pad on my bed and kept a couple of nappies, cream, wipes etc. in the drawer of my bedside table. I had a C section so I had to have everything within reach during the first week and I got used to it.. here I am 10 weeks later still changing my DS on my bed.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    We've used the same change table - a chest of drawers with shelves on top that fold out to a change table - for our kids. We were going to buy a chest of drawers anyway, so this was a good investment as we'll just fold the change table bit back when #2 is out of nappies and have some extra shelves for books and toys. I think it all depends on how much space you have in your apartment as to whether this is a suitable option. I agree that the floor (or one of those wide window ledges if you have them) work perfectly well.

Personally, I don't like the change tables that sit over the top of the cot. Not from a safety perspective, but because babies pee and poo a lot, and it sometimes is not contained to the change mat...

rani is offline Administrator
    We got a chest of draws and put a changing mat on top. Loved it.

We got ours from Jade Rattan. We still have it 6 years later although its covered with D's favorite stickers.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    We have used, and still using, an inflatable changing mat in the bathroom, as we have enough room beside the washbasin. We also have one in his bedroom, on a normal chest of drawers... that we rarely use.
    Concerning the changing table that you can fix on the cot, you might be limited by the baby's weight very quickly, and your baby will start moving much more around 7-8 months and turning himself on the changing mat... much easier to manage when you have walls around, and a bed mattress !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast