Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canossa Hospital

Aber97 is offline Registered User

Canossa Hospital

I would love to hear comments and feedback from any mums who gave birth at the Canossa Hospital recently in the last 12 months, in particular those who stayed in a single-bed private room. Although it isn't my first choice of hospital (since I didn't get into the Matilda despite making my booking at around 6 weeks) I will be giving birth there by elective c-section in a few weeks' time.

pangmei is offline Registered User
    Hi there,

I gave birth at the Canossa Hospital in April this year. My first choice was also Matilda, but couldn't get a confirmed spot. Overall it was a really positive experience. I stayed in the deluxe room which was fantastic. I found the nurses to be caring though hubby found that he had to be quite assertive with them at times to be allowed to stay with me (e.g. when they wheeled me into the birthing room, they insisted that he stay outside until they had changed me into the hospital gown ... ?!)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Grace

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I gave birth at the Canossa in November 07, as it was the only hospital who confirmed a room during the rush period. Hopefully I arrived at 4am so they had a private room free (even if you ask for one in advance, not sure you'll get it at last).
    You know, if it's your first birth, you don't really bother too much about details or things you can't compare... I thought they were nice, even if all the nurses don't speak english. The food is not the best... (I spend some time at Matilda a few weeks after, I have to say it was great ! even my husband wanted to join to have dinner with me ;))...
    My husband had no problems to stay with me, just left when they put the peridural on me, which is normal.
    I was only a bit surprised that right after the birth, they put my baby in the nursery, and I had to ask to see him as I didn't spend a minute with him yet ! I also asked that he could stay with me during the day, and if I have another baby, I'll ask to have him in the room during the night too.
    As I was BF, they were taking my baby to my room every 2 hours, which was THEIR schedule, and not because my son was hungry or even awake, so sometimes he was still sleeping, and sometimes he had been crying for a long time...
    I guess the choice of your OB and pedetrician also makes the difference, they helped us through the birth and stay to get what we wanted from the nurses.
    Congratulations ! ;D

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Hi,

My concern is to breastfeed baby ASAP after delivery, do they send it to my room (if i opted for 2 or 3 in a room) after they have "clean" and checked the baby? I delivered in Adventist before and it took them more than an hour to send my baby to me.

After delivery, will they put the baby on my chest for a few minutes?

They did put my baby on my chest after delivery (but not naked, already cleaned and checked by the pedetrician who assist to the delivery), that is to say 1 mn after delivery, which is ok as you also need to deliver the placenta and be cleaned... then I got back to my room, and we thought they would take the baby to us, but they took him to the nursery, then my husband went to ask where he was. I think you just have to specify you want him with you straight after the birth.

Edit : just wanted to add that they didn't wait to check my baby because of the birth conditions, it was better not to lose time...
    Last edited by Frenchy; 10-11-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Aber97 is offline Registered User
    Thanks guys! Hopefully as long as my ob seems to be quite closely associated with the hospital, and as long as I get the single room, I will be able to implement these birth plan details a bit better e.g. have a feel of the baby before she's weighed and tagged and cleaned, have the baby in my room most of the time and not have all the vernix on the baby's screan scrubbed clean right away.

crystal88 is offline Registered User
    Thanks Frenchy, I think it is almost the same as other hospital, they have to cleaned baby first right after delivery, that takes about a minute before they put baby on the chest.

Now, the next question is how long before they send baby to me to breastfeed. Same with Adventist, my husband has to go back and forth to nursery to remind the nurses.

Aber97, good luck, and if you have the time later, kindly post here and let me know how is your overall experience, my only concern is breastfeeding, the rest - like food, speaks english are only minor to me. Thanks!

I would say I got my baby back half an hour after I went back to my room. I guess it can be even shorter if you know how they are used to do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast