Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Allergy testing - where?

putput is offline Registered User

Unhappy Allergy testing - where?

Please help.

My baby girl has has ezcema since around the age of a month. She has now turned 6 months and we started her on bananas as she previously had diarrhoea and the doctor said this would help. She has broken out in an awful rash around her eyes, mouth, and bottom. I feel so bad for her as she has just got over a 3 week viral infection so has really had a rough time.

Assuming this is a reaction to banana, I want to get her tested to see what else she is allergic to or intolerant of and hopefully put an end to her ezcema flaring up so badly.

Can anyone tell me who to go to to get a test done and any experiences that indicate the validity of such tests?

Thank you in advance!

mel_g20 is offline Registered User

Allergy Testing

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your baby.

My son went to see Dr Adrian Wu in the Princes Building in Central. His telephone number is 2818 0180. He diagnosed my son. I will also be taking my daughter there soon.

You dont need a referral to see him. However your insurance company may request it.

Good luck.

Hi there,

Thank you for your response. Did Dr Wu conduct an allergy test and what did it entail?

mel_g20 is offline Registered User
    Yes he did. My son was 3 when he had it done, so I'm not sure whether it is the same for babies.

They simply make a small scratch on his skin (arm in my sons case) then dab a little of what they may have an allergy to in the scratch, then wait 20 minutes and see what the reaction is. My son was tested for 19 things! So 19 small scratches. He was really good, but dint enjoy it much obviously. But he understood why it had to be done.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    I just took my 1 year old daughter for the same skin prick test at Dr. Wu's, she had it done on her back, also a patch test for milk, cos apparently the skin prick result for milk may not be completely reliable. My daughter was crying thru the entire test, but think it's more discomfort and a little stinging rather than any real pain. I have heard that the test is not as reliable for under 1.

Thanks both,

I'll give Dr Wu a call and see if it's worth getting my daughter tested at this stage as she is only 6 months old.

snagito is offline Registered User
    We had our son tested at 4 months and it turned out he was allergic to peanuts and egg white. Early diagnosis helped us to nip the eczema in the bud so I would highly recommend talking to a good doctor. The best I've found here in HK for skin prick/other tests so far is Dr Alfred Tam, his contact details are already on this site.

City Jammer is offline Registered User
    I go to Dr. Lynn Lim of OT&P clinic in Central. Allergies can be treated where you can safely eat the food again that caused you allergic reactions before. I and my baby are being treated by her. Here's her contact details:-
    OT&P
    5/F, Century Square,
    1 D'Aguilar Street, Central, Hong Kong
    Tel: 2521 3181

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast