Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

travelling to Cambodia - tips?

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Hi pangmei and Koan,

Any recommendations for restaurants that are good with a young baby in Siem Reap? We are heading there this week and really looking forward to the trip. We are going with in-laws who are visiting from the US and none of us have been before so restaurants with character and good food where we can easily manage with a wide awake baby or a sleeping one would be good!

Thanks

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    I can recommend The Foreign Correspondants Club, we were there last Christmas and there were plenty of families with young children and babies dining both inside and outside.

http://www.fcccambodia.com/angkor/

pangmei is offline Registered User
    The place we stayed at has a nice restaurant: http://www.shintamani.com/facilities/index.php

Just across the road from Shinta Mani is:
    http://www.escale-arts-sens.com/
    - good lunch time specials

Both are baby friendly :-)

Have fun!

Koan is offline Registered User
    I think all restaurants in Cambodia are baby friendly, because Cambodians are very friendly. Everywhere we went people wanted to hold our son and play with him. He was famous amongst staff in the restaurants around our hotel after a couple of days, everyone knew his name and played with him. Wherever you go, you'll be fine.

Have a nice trip!

kimthong11 is offline Registered User

Temples of Angkor - What are and are not accessible with a small baby?

Travelling to Siem Reap with my 11-month old baby and wondering if anyone had some tips for how many temples they managed to visit... are the far flung ones attemptable at all with such a small infant? Bantey Sreai, River of a Thousand Lingas?

pangmei is offline Registered User
    We went to Bantey Sreai with our 6 month old and it was certainly do-able and well worth visiting. We did about 2 temples per day early in the morning and found that worked well.

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    Kimthong11,

We just got back from Siem Reap. Had a fantastic time. My LO is 8 months old and we also traveled with grandparents. We managed to do 3 big temples a day but it was slow going primarily because of the heat. (I think harder on the adults than on the baby!) We were going to do a farther out temple like Bang Meleay (sp?) but decided at the last minute not to because of too much time in the car but again, I think the constraint was the adults not the baby. We went the very easy route and hired a tourist van and driver that took us around. The van was air conditioned and very comfortable for five of us. We took the tuk tuks around town and loved riding in those but for the longer days, the van was perfect. If I was to do it again, I would have done the farther out temples with the van. Supposedly a lot of the roads out of town have been improved so the travel time is not as long as it may have been a year or so ago.

Thanks to the rest of you for all the Cambodia tips! We tried them all. Did not stay at the Shinta Mani but went there for lunch one day!

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi all,
    We are planning to go to Cambodia for CNY with our 12 month old. We were going to take our helper but airfares are so expensive at CNY that we might have to shelve that idea!

Did the places where you stayed provide baby sitting services? We would like to be able to go out for meals while baby is asleep.

Also, did you fly to Siem Reap or did you fly into Phnom Pen (sorry about the spelling!) and then transfer by car to Siem Reap?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast