Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Health insurance for maternity

kazbo is offline Registered User

Health insurance for maternity

Dear all,
    We are shortly going to start trying for a baby but I'm not included in my husband's health insurance and will not be working myself.
    Can anyone recommend a good health insurance that is reasonable and includes maternity cover?
    If it included fertility problems too that would be great but know that's unlikely!
    Thanks
    Kazbo

MLBW Guest
    Man, Kazbo, that's a tall order in Hong Kong. What we were told when we consulted with several major insurance companies in HK when we were shopping for insurance is that the yearly premium for maternity insurance is more or less the cost of paying out of pocket to give birth at one of the private hospitals in HK--45-55K HKD, roughly. The only way to really receive affordable outpatient coverage and maternity coverage is to be included in a group health insurance plan--which is usually only available through the company you work for. If anyone else has more information that makes both outpatient and maternity coverage possible (outside group health insurance through an employer) in HK, I would also grateful for this information. Thankfully (well, sort of) in HK residents have the option of going the public hospital route which is more than affordable--however, in that case, sometimes you "pay for what you get"--I've heard both okay testimonials and horrific experience stories from those who have gone through the public hospital--and it really is the "luck of the draw." Sorry I wish I had more positive info.

Paddles is offline Registered User
    I think you'll find it hard to get cover if you're trying already. I'm with goodhealth and I know that there is a waiting period of 9-12 months before you can claim for pregnancy to stop people getting their cover just before they get pregnant.

I've had great experiences with goodhealth - it's not cheap but they've covered everything for me. I had twins and there's no additional coverage for multiples and they don't cover fertility (As far as I know that's true of most companies), however they paid all my prenatal costs, covered 80% of my delivery at Matilda (not cheap when you're having 2!) and my health visitor and subsequent follow ups.

MLBW Guest
    Paddles, may I ask what a yearly premium might run for maternity coverage with GoodHealth?

Paddles is offline Registered User
    In order to get maternity cover you have to take their fully comprehensive package - includes dental, all dr's fees etc etc. For me the cost was about US$1500.

MLBW Guest
    Paddles, would you please PM me a website or contact information for the health insurance group you're with? I am quite interested as the premium isn't very much more than what we already pay for my coverage. Thanks!

kazbo is offline Registered User
    Thanks guys - I did a bit of investigating and that did seem to be the general gist.
    I was quoted premiums nearer US$4,000-6,000 though not $1500 - which does seem reasonable.
    I will look into goodhealth then!

I guess otherwise it's the public hospitals as you say. And another post on here pointed out some of the cheaper private hospitals do packages which work out cheaper than the health insurance premiums.

Seems so unfair to punish me for getting health insurance when I am trying to conceive - I am rarely sick so why would I pay 000's to have private health insurance for myself only when I am fine!

Kazbo

rani is offline Administrator
    Also check out HealthCare Int'l. We signed up as a family and found it quite reasonable. However, we haven't put in a claim yet.

http://www.healthcareinternational.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast