Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How much food is too much for 8 month old?

unity is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong

How much food is too much for 8 month old?

I am concerned that my dd is now eating too much! I feed her solid 3 times a day and she still drinks 4 x 240ml a day. She barely ate 2 ice cube sized before but last 3 days, her appetite seems to kick in. She has been finishing around 10 - 14 ice cube sized mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoon of rice or oatmeal per meal and she still wants more but I stopped feeding her. For eg. 14 ice cube is equivalent to 2 apples (the organic one at 360 to imagine the size)...mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons of oats and that is just breakfast!!

Is this too much? She is on the 97 percentile and I am worried she will be overweight. So...what is normal for 8 month old?

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    She might be having a growth spurt. Dont worry.

plumtree is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Mine went through a phase of loving food...then hating he's back to loving food. So get those calories in while you can!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    When my children were that age, they were also eating a lot of solids, however not drinking that much of formula anymore, definitely not 4 x 8 oz bottles, I think I was down to 20oz per day or so and my doc said that was plenty. My oldest is / was also a 95% girl for everything, my twins are slighly above average, but also nice and "healthy" looking!

yan88 is offline Registered User
    also need some advise:

My baby is almost 9 months and he is drinking 4x180mls but dont eat much solids. do i gave him too much milk at this age? should i cut back the milk a bit so he can eat more.

MLBW Guest

That ain't nothin'!

I wouldn't stress over that. 4 bottles of 240 ml (about 8 ounces) isn't really that much, actually! My son (10-months-old) now drinks 3 bottles a day, one in the morning and one in the evening (267 ml) and one in the afternoon in between (178 ml). Plus....he eats three square meals a day--about a cup of oatmeal cereal with applesauce or prunes mixed in in the morning (240 ml), a pureed food of some sort for lunch (casserole, pasta, veggies and meat etc.) again, about a cup (240 ml) and anywhere from a half-cup to a cup of food at night. Then sometimes he has a snack of a baby biscuit or some Cheerios if he gets hungry in between!

I let him decide how much he wants to eat. The thing with babies and children that generally, if they are left to their own devices and they are in good health, they will eat what they need--unlike adults they are not emotional eaters and they feed on demand. My son has a definite on and off switch when it comes to food and I think that as mommies if we pay attention to that switch then we can't go wrong.

At this point I am not sure what percentile my son is in but it doesn't matter much to me as he is already 2 1/2-feet tall (76.2 cm), walks and runs and is non-stop all day long. He weighs a solid 23 pounds (10.5 kilos) but I have to search to find much flab on him (especially for a baby)--he is burning what he's eating and as I feed him balanced meals, that is what matters.

So, I said all that just to say that I don't think your daughter is overeating. How old is she? She very well may be going through a growth spurt--or maybe this is just the "new her"--as she grows she will need more calories.

Please don't put her on a diet before she has time to get "fat"--goodness! :0P
    Last edited by MLBW; 10-15-2008 at 12:30 PM.

isabella is offline Registered User
    kowloon city
    Just for the record, My son is 2 years old now, since 1 he became a big lover of food,and eats more than me and my husband!! He was overweight - according to his doctor n was advice to cut his diet but becoz he did know when to stop, (believe or not..) so I'm quiet comfortable about his eating habit and let it be. Now he still eat alot, 3 full meals with an adult portion no more milk, but at least 2 snacks between meal n lots of cookies!! But his weight drop back to standard, due to lots of running.. jumping..skipping..etc!
    So, I'll suggest wait n see, give her sometime to enjoy food.