Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Training baby to sleep with benadril cough syrup

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I am curious who the doctor is...not asking you to reveal... just curious for curiosity's sake...it sounds quite irresponsible to me.

spockey is offline Registered User
    My son has the reverse effect with any sort of medication like Benadryl... We've not used it for sleeping as we've been lucky but have had to use it as medication once. Whether it's Benadryl or Dimetapp or Demazin... it does the TOTAL opposite! He stays awake longer.

To be honest, I'd switch GP/PD. The doctor should have known that sometimes the medication does the opposite with some bubs... we were warned before using it!

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i can not believe that your doctor actually suggested this.

I would be changing drs pretty rapidly!

There are A LOT of different ways to help teach your baby the wonderful skill of sleeping unaided on his own. At 6 months of age I personally think most babies are old enough to sleep for long periods of time without nursing.

MomtoSophie&Twins made some good points.

I suggest getting a few different baby sleep books and trying to find a method you feel comfortable with.

There are a few threads on here already with recommended books.

izzy is offline Registered User
    I am also curious to find out who your PD is. It's not right to get your LO to sleep using medication. Try pacifier. I think Annerley has midwife that specialize in sleep therapy. You may want to call them up.

tstmum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    in the US....it's because people were abusing them. using them for reasons other than what they were made for and also because people were overmedicating their children...
    So this is a perfect example of misuse of cough medicines...

I've thought about this more overnight and I'm still in shock that a PD would suggest such a way to sleep train such a young baby.

As some of the other posters have said, I would seek another opinion, eg, from Annerly Midwives or Yvonne of The Family Zone, and get some books on sleep to see what works best for you. As I mentioned earlier, controlled crying worked for us, and I also made a point of not going in at the first wimper or cry but to wait a bit - sometimes babies surprise you and do actually go back to sleep by themselves.

carang is offline Registered User
    "So this is a perfect example of misuse of cough medicines..."

i agree whole-heartedly!

miaka is offline Registered User
    i agree, it sounds like the misuse of meds to me. my 8 month old started sleeping restlessly around the same time. i just brought him into bed w/ us (me and my toddler .... my hubby has since had to sleep on the floor so we all could get a good night's rest). i BF-ed in the lying down position so if he wanted to comfort suckle longer and i could still get some sleep. you may also want to consider a pacifier.

MLBW Guest
    This was a huge story in the small community I am from. A daycare worker gave a few of the children in her care Benadryl in order to "help them with their sleep." One of the boys, Dane Haagem died a week after his first birthday. Below are excerpts from the original news story and the link to the full story is at the bottom along with the link to the lady's sentencing of 5 years in prison. Note the final part where it's noted that Benadryl can also make children hyper and combatitive:

Dane Jordan Heggem died Jan. 31, a week after his first birthday, after being supervised at Tiny Tots Daycare, 412 Montana Ave., in Laurel. The death certificate filed Friday in Yellowstone County lists the child's cause of death as homicide from a "toxic dose of diphenhydramine." The medication, an antihistamine, is known by the brand name Benadryl...

Diphenhydramine can make a child drowsy, and an overdose can make a child unresponsive and could shut down the respiratory center in the brainstem, an expert said.

Edward Ezrailson, who holds a doctorate in biochemistry and consults on legal cases in which medications are given incorrectly, said the antihistamine is a central nervous system depressant.

"A toxic dose, especially to a young child, would lead to loss of consciousness," Ezrailson said. "Benadryl is a good way to calm children down, even make them unresponsive....

Pfizer, the drug company that makes Benadryl, cautions that even the children's formulas should not be given to children younger than 6 without consulting a doctor...

Jill Mackley, a licensed practical nurse at Deaconess Billings Clinic, said health professionals there seldom give cold medications to children younger than 2. With medications such as Motrin and Tylenol, which are more commonly given to toddlers, dosing amounts are carefully based on age and weight, she said. Cold medications are not recommended for children younger than 6 months, Mackley said....

Jill Mackley, a licensed practical nurse at Deaconess Billings Clinic, said health professionals there seldom give cold medications to children younger than 2. With medications such as Motrin and Tylenol, which are more commonly given to toddlers, dosing amounts are carefully based on age and weight, she said. Cold medications are not recommended for children younger than 6 months, Mackley said...

Antihistamines have varied effects on children, she said.

"Some would sleep and some would get very hyper, even combative" Mackley said....

Original news story:
    http://www.billingsgazette.com/newde...8-boy-died.inc

Followup and sentencing:
    http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...tinytots_z.txt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast