Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Breastfeeding and Biting

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding and Biting

One tick to try when your baby bites is to pull him towards you and cover his nose. This means that to breathe the baby needs to open his mouth and you can remove your nipple without further damage. The baby doesn't like the sensation of being smothered and associates the biting with being smothered and so stops biting (well that's the theory).

There is an article on the LLLI web site called What Should I Do If My Baby Bites Me? http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html

Information about starting solids is at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    This page gives some infomation articles and a number of mothers' stories.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Yadan is offline Registered User

I don't know if my girl ate enough

Hi, Sarah:

I BF my son for 10 months and i want to BF my girl at least for 1 year, she's 7.5 months now. I went back to work since Sep 1 but i only work in the morning, I fully BF at the weekend, from Monday to Friday I feed her at 7:30am then I feed her at 13:30 after work, she drink fomualr at 11am bacause I can't pump during the work. I would like 100% BF my girl, so should I let her take solid in the morning when I'm not able to BF? Now I'm not sure if she ate enough, in the past she always poo at 7am everyday, but since last week, she began to poo every 2 days. We start solid food late, now I only give her solid food once per day, 2 or 3 tea spoon well cooked vegitable. should I gave her more solid food or formular? she's quite big, almost 10 kgs but she only gain 500g after 6 months.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

First - your baby's weight gain is great - don't worry about it. We are only expecting between 60 to 110 grams a week at this age. Your baby is averaging over 80 grams a week - so that's not a problem.

If your baby likes solids then you can increase the amount of solid food you give her while you are away. If she isn't keen on the solids then just see how she manages while you are gone and think about offering milk instead.

If you can't express the milk while you are away at work have you thought about expressing when you are together? Some mothers are able to feed the baby on one side and pump on the other at the same time. This enables you to collect milk without too much effort - so long as you can figure out how to do it!

We have a working mothers' e-mail group and a couple of weeks ago they were discussing introducing solids. You can join by going to http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...gkong-working/ and clicking on the JOIN button. Once you are a member you can read the old posts at http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...rking/messages

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User

Sarah,

The trick you mentioned for biting is fantastic. I have had to use it only once when my LOs first teeth came in. However, now I have a bigger problem. She has 3 new teeth coming in up top as well as the 2 already on the bottom. Every time she nurses, the teeth are just in the way! She is not biting me, just the teeth rubbing around the areola is enough to cause pain and it can be excruciating! Anything I can do? I thought I could just feed through it but tonight, it was pretty painful, so much so that I am dreading nursing.

Any advice?

noc
    noc is offline Registered User

Hi Sarah, I sent you a PM, please check and reply when you have time! thanks so much!

Koan is offline Registered User
    My baby bit me this morning. Many times.

He's had teeth for a few months but this is the first time he's bitten me. I pulled him close and he came off, but when he latched on again he bit again. This went on until letdown when he settled down.

I'm a bit scared to nurse him now.

adahc is offline Registered User

My baby does the same, hehas to bite to confirm once before start feeding. There's nothing I can do becausehe didn't do it to play. It;'s the way he is. I just put my nugget in first, sometime it works, sometime t doesn't but t hurts like hell....everytime.
    Any advice on this?