Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is it a hormonal problem...pls comment.

MLBW Guest
    I do not have "irregular periods" (that's when you have periods that come at random--skip months etc)--I do have long cycles, though that average between 33-52 days (52 was the longest ever) and this is most often due to a hormonal imbalance. Other things that can affect cycle length are diet, stress, post-partum issues, breastfeeding (or having breastfed in the previous year) as well as underlying illness.

The culprit is often progesterone. Many times doctors prescribe birth control pills in this case--which is not a very wise idea as the progesterone level that makes your cycle longer is only in play toward the end of your cycle (after ovulation) and if you are taking birth control pills all the time it just masks symptoms but does not get to the root of the problem. In your case, because you are TTC birth control is not even an option.

I recommend looking into natural family planning. A very standardized, concise, clinical and researched method that I have been using is the Creighton Method which is also used to study and diagnose womens' health issues.

http://www.creightonmodel.com/

For specifics dealing with hormonal imbalance:

http://www.naprotechnology.com/infertility.htm &

An OPK can help as it can predict ovulation but there are other factors in a woman's cycle that those trained to look for them can see that can further pinpoint why she cannot conceive. By charting your cycle you can gain immense insight into the overall health of your own body as reflected in your cycle and as we all know, that overall health affects conception.

For example, it is possible for a woman to be conceiving every cycle because the first phase of her cycle (from her period until ovulation) is fine because the high levels of estrogen that affect that phase are fine but at the same time she can be repeatedly losing pregnancies by spontaneous abortion (which she may not even be aware of) because the egg cannot implant properly in the uterine lining. In this case, the culprit of her infertility is not her ability to conceive, it is probably the fact that her progesterone levels (which control the thickness and health of the uterine lining which directly affects implantation of the egg) may be off kilter. Progesterone is the key component then from ovulation until the end of the cycle.

Until the underlying hormonal problem is addressed she could be actually getting pregnant every cycle yet having a period as she loses the pregnancy--even before the HCG level in her body is high enough to read positive on a home pregnancy test. This is just one example.

NFP usually not only can help pinpoint the reason, but offer comprehensive, holistic treatment and help her achieve a healthy pregnancy without invasive, expensive (often ineffective treatment). Most fertility treatments report about a 25% rate of success in helping a couple conceive whereas NFP usually reports around an 85% rate of success--it's low-cost and worth a try if you haven't looked at it.

I know for me, that this method has helped a ton at addressing my female health problems I have had for over a decade that no one else could treat.

Hope this might be helpful. :0)

silentspace is offline Registered User
    Thankyou so much MLBW for the very informative reply.
    Apparently i had miscalculated my days...i was so anxious to see a positive i counted ahead...hmmm...anyway a very painful periods came on day 41.I am seeing a doc anyway to get to know when i might ovulate.then i plan to buy the OPKs.
    aussiemum how did you figure out when you were ovulating with such long cycles like mine.
    Thanks a bunch Girls.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had "irregular-ish" cycles. I would be 29 days one month and then the next month would be 42 days... I know it's not as irregular as other people, but still it was HARD to know when the ovulation time was.

At first, I didn't worry about it and just "pretended" that we weren't TTC (because sometimes I know that stressing about it can hinder things) - then after a few months, I started charting my temperature. That only really told me a little about when I was ovulating - and you can only really use that for looking back at the month - because once you know you've ovulated, it's already probably "too late" to try to conceive that month. I looked at ovulation kits but decided not to buy them because of the price - and with my cycle, I'd probably need 2 packs each month!!

So my next "step" was to go see a doctor (by that time, I'd been trying to conceive for about 10 months). She took an ultrasound of my ovaries and found that I had some cysts, but she said that there was no reason that I shouldn't be able to fall pregnant naturally. She told me to try ovulation kits and come back in 3 months or so. I went out and bought one kit in Hong Kong, but it didn't have enough tests in it for that cycle and I was cheap and didn't buy another one. Instead I bought some online from the US at this webpage: http://www.shopinprivate.com/ovtesandmon.html - they shipped to Hong Kong for MUCH cheaper than what you can buy them in Hong Kong for!! So I bought about 6 packs or something like that.

As soon as I received them, I used them for one month and fell pregnant the FIRST month, after TTC for a year. So I'm now a big believer in OPKs!!

All the best!!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I had "irregular-ish" cycles. I would be 29 days one month and then the next month would be 42 days... I know it's not as irregular as other people, but still it was HARD to know when the ovulation time was.

At first, I didn't worry about it and just "pretended" that we weren't TTC (because sometimes I know that stressing about it can hinder things) - then after a few months, I started charting my temperature. That only really told me a little about when I was ovulating - and you can only really use that for looking back at the month - because once you know you've ovulated, it's already probably "too late" to try to conceive that month. I looked at ovulation kits but decided not to buy them because of the price - and with my cycle, I'd probably need 2 packs each month!!

So my next "step" was to go see a doctor (by that time, I'd been trying to conceive for about 10 months). She took an ultrasound of my ovaries and found that I had some cysts, but she said that there was no reason that I shouldn't be able to fall pregnant naturally. She told me to try ovulation kits and come back in 3 months or so. I went out and bought one kit in Hong Kong, but it didn't have enough tests in it for that cycle and I was cheap and didn't buy another one. Instead I bought some online from the US at this webpage: http://www.shopinprivate.com/ovtesandmon.html - they shipped to Hong Kong for MUCH cheaper than what you can buy them in Hong Kong for!! So I bought about 6 packs or something like that.

As soon as I received them, I used them for one month and fell pregnant the FIRST month, after TTC for a year. So I'm now a big believer in OPKs!!

All the best!!
    Just wanted to add that charting your temperature alone is not a very reliable way to chart your cycles--usually when people chart temperature they are also observing a few other symptoms including mucous changes and possibly cervical position along with sensation. And yes, you only know you have ovulated for sure in retrospect but there are obvious signs (especially changes in mucous and sensation) that one can look for in the 3-5 days leading up to ovulation--at this time the woman's body is most hospitable and receptive toward sperm and since sperm can survive in this type of environment for up to 5 days, your chances of getting pregnant go up enormously. Really, you do need to take a class and get trained properly and do some consistent follow-up with a trained instructor to make sense of any sort of charting--I learned that most women (like myself) who just try to wing it on their own at first don't get very far.

silentspace is offline Registered User
    Thank a lot Nicole and MLBW.I am feeling so much better after reading your comments.So my first step is to see a gynec and ask her around what time my ovulation might be and then when i get that idea i shall use the OPKs .I tried figuring out the mucous stuff but i found it all confusing because now and then ewcm happens and then i wonder what was that about....
    I have the ovulation pain but does that happen when ovulation is finished or starting or happening.....?

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by silentspace View Post
    Thank a lot Nicole and MLBW.I am feeling so much better after reading your comments.So my first step is to see a gynec and ask her around what time my ovulation might be and then when i get that idea i shall use the OPKs .I tried figuring out the mucous stuff but i found it all confusing because now and then ewcm happens and then i wonder what was that about....
    I have the ovulation pain but does that happen when ovulation is finished or starting or happening.....?
    Like I said, when it comes to NFP you really do need to consult with a practitioner and have the instruct and guide you at least for a month or two--that helped me a lot! If you try to do it yourself (I also went that route for a month or two) you likely will not be able to use the system. I used www.woomb.org They offer instruction by certified instructors online where you chart and can ask questions--I utilized this resource for probably 3-4 months and it was a tremendous help! It's better to be able to know your own body rather than depend on someone else to tell you what might be happening--because often times there is no way to know until the day of ovulation or afterward and by that day your chances of getting pregnant are not very good. You are more likely to get pregnant if you have intercourse on the days leading up to ovulation (during the 5 days previously). The egg (ovum) only survives for at the most 48 hours and usually it is a lot less than that--so if you have intercourse on the day of ovulation, it's not very likely you will get pregnant. If you can learn to recognize the signs beforehand (which does take some time and instruction) you'll be set for the rest of your life to know when you could possibly conceive and won't need to depend continually on someone else to try to point it out. Also, by getting to know your body you do yourself a huge favor in possibly helping to diagnose underlying problems with your hormones which very well could be the root cause of any infertility. But, it does take an initial effort to really learn the system in it's entirety. Check out the website, it really helped me a lot.

engee is offline Registered User
    Irregular cycles are definitely a big headache.Good luck to you ss.OPKs Should help for sure.
    Last edited by engee; 10-25-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12