Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it a hormonal problem...pls comment.

silentspace is offline Registered User

Is it a hormonal problem...pls comment.

Hi,
    I am new to this forum.Looking for advice as we are TTC baby number two.
    We have been trying for three months.I have irregular periods usually 32-40 days.Last two months it was regular.When it didnt come even on day 40 i thought i was pregnant.Did a urine test but it turned out negative.I have sore breasts,frequent urination and no severe cramps which i usually have before,during periods.So i really thought i would see a positive this time.
    I am wondering if i may be having any hormonal problems as i seem to be getting lots of pimples too(am not severe pimple type).
    How important is it to get the hormonal checked?We thought of using OPKs next month....pls comment your thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.
    ss

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    i have very irregular periods as well. I used OPKs when trying for both my boys. Its an easy way to find out when you are ovulating! With my first it was very easy - test strip said "go" and we fell pregnant. The second was a bit more difficult. We were trying at the right time but didn't conceive for quite a while.
    It gets a little expensive when you have an irregular cycle as you have to start using the test strips on about day 8 or 9 and then keep using them every day until you get a positive sign for ovulation. I recommend you use them as a starting point. If you still don't conceive after a couple of months when you have definitely been trying at the right time (as per OPK) then it is a good idea to start looking at hormone levels etc.

Good luck!
    Last edited by aussie mum; 10-18-2008 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks aussie mum for the reply.May i ask what brand OPKs you suggest?
    Can i buy it from the Watsons or mannings?

aussie mum, my periods have never crossed 32-40 day cycle.now its day 42 and no periods...thats why i wonder if i need hormone medicine or something.Have your periods come as irregular as this?
    Many Thanks.

yes after having my first child my menstrual cycle went as irregular as 63 days!! I did have tests done and I had low progesterone. I was still ovulating and all was in "working order" just not very efficiently ;-)
    I would probably do another pregnancy test to re-confirm that you are not pregnant if it is unusual for your cycle to be this long.
    I had my hormone levels tested in Australia so I'm not sure who would do the same for you here in HK ??

fee
    fee is offline Registered User
    I have always suffered from irregular cycles and was diagnosed with PCOS (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome) before I had my first son (I have two). If you read the small print on the back of the OPK box it does say that they will not give reliable results if you have PCOS. It is worth giving them a go, but before you spend a small fortune on several months supply it might pay to rule out PCOS first.....

Thankyou very much aussie mum and fee for replying.
    Could you tell me which OPKs are reliable.Can we get them from Watsons or Mannings?

i have always used ClearBlue ovulations tests - you can get them from Watsons and Mannings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast