Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

International Pre Nursery and K1 near Gold coast

llafolie is offline Registered User

International Pre Nursery and K1 near Gold coast

Hi
    We will move early Dec to Gold coast with our son 2 yrs old. We used to leave in Sai kung where my son used to go to playgroup at Greenfield in Hang Hau

I am now looking at pre nursery and K1, I will send few application forms,

For K1, in ESF Tsing Yi, in Hong Lok yuen school and in Learning Habitat, any expereince with those schools? we are french, my son spends his day with our maid as I am working so he understands english but he doesn't know anything about cantonese.

I would think it is better for him to be in an international environment as it may be difficult to adjust if he is the only non chinese...

For Pre Nursey I will apply at Parkview rhine garden but they told me he will be the only western, I will also apply to baby buddies and may be Jing jing as it looks popular.

We will have to use school buses as we are both working in TST so I don't think we can manage to bring him ourselves to school.

Any advice comments would be highly appreciated as we have to send all application files before end of this month I think

Thanks in advance
    Lucie

spockey is offline Registered User
    Sunkids has just opened. From what I hear from two parents who have their kids there, it's great value for money. Also, the facilities there are brand new. The fees are also extremely reasonable and value for money. The environment is extremely caring. No personal experience though... but I think it has/will become Jing Jing's competitor. The student ratio is greater than Jing Jing but suitable for preparation into ESF... bigger classroom size. I hear there's 3 teachers present though currently for just 10 kids. There is also the advantage of the Mandarin emersion programme if you are interested in Discovery College which places an equal emphasis on Mandarin.

Jing Jing has a great teacher-student ratio. They had a great nursery teacher... this year's nursery teacher is a far cry of the standard set last year... She's not as toddler friendly. The teacher from the previous year had a special touch... She could speak toddler language, NEVER EVER talks down and was always gentle. The ratio of 7 native English speakers to 1 non-native English speaker is no longer adhered to in the nursery class. The class size is still 8 max. The Mandarin programme seems effective coz my son's picked up quite a bit from even though it's just 2 days a week. He seems to speak/utter more Cantonese or Mandarin sounds these days despite the fact that we use English to converse in all public domains. It's really bizarre!

There is also New Generation. I know of two parents who are happy with their kids there. The classroom is bigger... 20 for pre-nursery but if you are planning for ESF Tsing Yi, it may work to your advantage. Again, no personal experience, only from hearsay.

Baby Buddies... Love them! Claire is just wonderful! She's one of the best nursery teacher's I've ever encountered. Firm with helpers who are there with the kids... about making sure that they do their own work so the child doesn't produce picture perfect work. And, she's great with the kids... NEVER talks down to the kids. We would not have left BB if not for the fact that ours wouldn't sit still!

There's also Glitterbugs at the Gold Coast three mornings a week. It's a creative and convenient programme if you live at the GC. I don't know who runs it now but if it's Carla, she's just the bees knees... absolutely wonderful! She also runs Music Together. She speaks to the toddlers always NEVER down to them.

tully is offline Registered User
    My husband and I went to look at all the above mentioned schools when we were looking for our child. They really are all completely different. So you really need to go and look at all of them. Then you will know what is the right place for your child. We ended up choosing Jing Jing and are extremely happy. In particular with the lovely relaxed and welcoming environment as well as the quality of teaching.
    Also another thing to consider is the curriculum of the Primary school you will be sending your child to. We are hoping to send ours to ESF and thought that Jing Jing was the best match as a kindergarten.

eloisa is offline Registered User
    Our daughter attends Jing Jing and we have been very happy with the quality of care and teaching at the kindergarten. The class size of eight is fantastic as all the children seem to receive a huge amount of attention and care. You need to look at all the kindergartens in the area and make a choice that you and your child will be happy with!

spockey is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tully View Post
    Also another thing to consider is the curriculum of the Primary school you will be sending your child to. We are hoping to send ours to ESF and thought that Jing Jing was the best match as a kindergarten.
    Agree with Tully... it all depends on what your plans are for your child's primary education. Jing Jing also has close ties with JIS (English section) so that is another advantage of Jing Jing. There is a pick-up from the GC too.

I forgot to mention that HLY has a nursery section which picks up from the GC too but at mid-afternoon. Applications need to be submitted early as it has become quite a popular option leading into one of the most creative kindies around (based on hearsay).

llafolie is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for all those answers, it helps!
    To be honest I don't have any plan for future and it is a bit frightening to think that the Pre Nursery & K1 you choose will have impact on the future studies of my 2 yrs old son.
    I know it is true in HKG, coming form France it sounds really bizarre!
    My plan would be anyway to be back to Europe within three years, so I think I have to go for international school or french (but the FIS is just too far away...)
    Anyway I will try to go & visit Jing Jing and HLY for K1 option, I think ; you are right I need to go there and visit the place. Only thing is that we need to send all those application forms now and I am working full full time and travelling in the region for work as well so it is a bit challenging. Having received all those advices will already help me to shortlist the schools we want to check/try.
    Thanks again
    Lucie

e-mum is offline Registered User
    Jing Jing is mentioned a lot here, but can someone tell me where it is located? Thanks!

tully is offline Registered User
    It is in Tuen Mun on castle peak road. 15 mins by taxi from Gold Coast. They also have a school bus.Or on the K51 takes 25 mins, 53 takes 15 mins. website jingjing.edu.hk/eng gives more information and directions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast