Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Bottled Water and Fluoride

sherwes is offline Registered User

Bottled Water and Fluoride

The pipes in our building are pretty dodgy and we can regularly see metallic sediment in our glasses and kettle. Because of this we started making up the bottles of formula for our 11 month with boiled Watson's Water (the distilled one not the mineral water).

Today I started to get a bit concerned that my baby was missing out on fluoride given that he isn't drinking tap water.

I did a bit of research on the net and the American Dental Association seems to recommend that formula is made with unfluoridated water (see link below). However, the ADA seem to assume that baby formula already has fluoride added which really surprised me. Fluoride is not listed as a ingredient in the Australian made formula I give my baby. Maybe this just happens in the US??

I am now wondering if I should see a doctor with a view to obtaining some fluoride supplements. I think most western countries add fluoride to their water and therefore I am concerned that my baby is missing out on a mineral (??) that is very beneficial to the development of his teeth. I was wondering if anyone had actually discussed this issue with a dentist?

I suppose the other option is to purchase a good water filter so that we can use the tap water. Any recommendations of filters that are actually proven to remove harmful sediment?

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/po...de_infants.asp

Gildea is offline Registered User

Over 1,800 Professionals Call for an End to Fluoridation of Drinking Water

Fluoride is not good for your baby.

Watch the video on this page of an ABC News segment that addresses this issue. Decide for yourself.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/profess...statement.html

MeowMeow is offline Registered User
    Hi sherwes,

i highly recommend the water purified system by Perfect Life.
    They use Reverse Osmosis system.

http://www.perfectlife.com.hk/rescom_ro_E.htm

PM me for more details if you're interested.

NYCMel is offline Registered User
    the problem with using a purified system is that the water still runs through the old pipes. many of my friends have a very complex (and expensive) purifying system, but metals are still detected it....this is obviously a result of the pipes and not the system or actually even water. I am from the US, and flouride is recommended by my pediatrician - TOO much may be harmful. My U.S. pediatrician gave me flouride supplement which is basically impossible to find over (tri-vitamin w/flouride) here. Yes, there is flouride in HK water (or so my Chinese pediatrician says), but we still do not give it to our 10 month year old son b/c of the pipes and we do not drink it either. We give WildAlp Baby water which has flouride and can be found at all Park N Shops. 360, City Super etc....

Obviously , in the end people will have different opinions on this and it's up to you. Whatever decision you make, will be the right one for your baby! :)

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Thanks all for your replies so far. Just "bumping" this one up again in case anyone has spoken to a dentist regarding this issue.

zyxwv is offline Registered User
    Sherwes - What did you ultimately decide?

NYCMel's suggestion may be the way to go but I am curious to also hear what others are doing.

Our paed suggested that we boil and filter our tap water, but without seeing it for himself he can't fully appreciate our hesitation. Our tyke doesn't yet have teeth but they are coming soon and the water in our building just isn't an option.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    We use watson's distilled water (not boiled) for formula and drinking for baby and toddler.

I was told by my Dentist in NZ that fluoride works on decay from the outside of the tooth (e.g. it's topical) so if you are using fluoridated toothpaste it is sufficient. Also, formula made up with (fluoridated) water contains over 200 x more fluoride than breast milk which is pretty extreme.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    My dentist in Australia said that once the teeth are already grown, fluoride is only topical so for an adult, having fluoridated water isn't important - BUT it is important to have some fluoride in the diet when the teeth are growing and developing - so for a child, fluoride is a lot more important than for an adult. According to him, children NEED fluoridated water.

I know that there are two sides to this argument - and I personally believe that fluoride is important for children. I know that there can be issues if people have too MUCH fluoride, it can do more harm than good. But I think it's important to have SOME fluoride.

The tap water in Hong Kong is fluoridated - but only half the level of Sydney (at least when I compared them a couple of years ago). I give my 9 month old daughter boiled tap water to drink. I don't feed her formula, but if I did, I personally would probably use boiled tap water for that too.

All that said, I know there are two sides to any argument. Go research them both, talk to your doctor and your dentist and see what they say. And make up your mind what you think is best.