Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Info needed- pregnant and new in HK

GreenArchi is offline Registered User

Hi DBmum,
    I've been in HK for 2 years, but am 12 weeks pregnant and had no idea of what hospital etc. to go to. But because we don't have private insurance, the public system was an easy choice for us. And also this forum has been helpful with lots of information etc. I recommend meeting for coffees with people on this forum as this is a great way to meet new people and share ideas and experiences.
    I recently had my first appointment at the Tsan Yuk Hospital in Sheung Wan on Sat. Oct 18th (this hospital is affiliated with Queen Mary), and everyone I spoke to (midwives/nurses) were very nice. I registered at Tsan Yuk as soon as I found out about this hospital, just to get in and get the ball rolling (so to speak). To register for having your baby in the public system through the Tsan Yuk/QM, phone;
    2589 2100. I have my first appointment with a doctor at Tsan Yuk next week, so I'll let you know how that goes. I'm also doing the hospital tour (of the QM) on the 1st November, you can register for this on ph: 2589 2387. Here's the website for your info. http://www.hku.hk/obsgyn/patientInfo...m#hospitalTour
    They've already given me a date for my first scan on the 22nd December with the same doctor at the QM....so am looking forward to that!

ps. Congratulations! :o) If you want to meet for a hotchocolate etc. let me know (and check out under 'Forum' for the baby due dates as people are always arranging for group gatherings).

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi

Congratulations.

I am new to HK too. Been here for 3 months. I am now 36 weeks and I am due for a C-section on 12 Nov 2008.

Basically I have initally booked Matilda for my c-section but due to further medical complication my OB refered me to Queen Mary. Basically the cost between public and private care is quite different.

Would be glad to meet and discuss in details over hot chocoolate. :) You can PM me.

travellingbaby is offline Registered User

Hey, I'm newly pregnant and new to HK to, I'm going to interview Dr.s and hospitals next week, I'll let you know if I find anyone good.

zany500 is offline Registered User

Hello everyone,

Same situation here ! just moved to HK in june and found out I'm pregnant last week...Of course I do not have a OB yet, I just looked in the forum and heard about Dr Grace Cheung. Because I work and leave close by, I decided to try. I have my first appointment with her tomorrow, I'll keep you informed.

Drink, I am very interested in having more info abour Queen Mary (registration deadline, can my husband be with me during delivery, etc). My insurance is very bad and I'll have to go for public...which is not a problem though !

Happy pregnacy !
    Jeanne

mwong222 is offline Registered User

I am relatively new to HK. Finding a doctor can be difficult. I just used the same doctor as a colleague who lived near me. I am also registered at Queen Mary. considering just using the public hospital doctor as it seems to be free compared with private doctor. Queen Mary was recommended to me as the #1 hospital in HK (not sure if true or not). The only thing i can find useful for private hospital is that you can get a private room and spend time with newborn. But for me, i can wait 2-3 days to spend time with newborn compared with cost savings (personal choice). Also, for most complications and premature births, private hospitals will refer you to public hospital anyways (this is what happenned to my colleague). To me this was a big indicator that public hospitals is just safer to give birth.

but for registering i think you still need to see a private doctor to recommend you first. that is what i had to do. i didn't call to make an appointment at Tsun Yak. I just showed up (because that is what they told me to do on the phone).

jaz1311 is offline Registered User

Hi

I just delivered at the Matilda last friday 7 Nov it was a emergency c- section.

My ob Dr Edmond Hon was fantastic taking into consideration I had a huge growth right next to my baby. The after care in the Matilda is fantastic and the food was also good.

I had my baby with me all the time I was there and I could have in with me in my room anytime of the day, though I was in a standard room not a private room

zany500 is offline Registered User

I finally saw Dr Lucie Lord as Dr Grace cheung was not in yesturday. The clinic is great and the staff is really nice.
    They have everything on site (pharmacy, laboratory, scan etc). I had a good feeling with Dr Lord, eventhough she is quite busy and do not have much time. I spent 10 minutes with her for the scan, and then about 1 hour with her nurse who explained everything to me, and took the time to answer my questions while doing the labs.

Good practice, good doctor, but not cheap !

Consult is HK$950
    Scan is HK$500
    Labs was HK$840
    Vitamines + fish oil : HK$360
    Total bill HK$2560 for the 1st visit...

3/F Baskerville House, 13 Duddell street, Central

Jeanne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12