Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Info needed- pregnant and new in HK

DB_mum is offline Registered User

Info needed- pregnant and new in HK

Hi, I'm new in HK and just found out that I am pregnant.

I have no OBGYN yet. I do not know how to proceed with maternity choice and registration. Does it depend on the OBGYN I choose? Should I go to a public or private hospital? How early should I register?

Information and advices highly welcome!

Dink is offline Registered User
    Hi there - congratulations and welcome to Hong Kong! I was in a very similar situation 4 months ago, I got a positive pregnancy test 5 days after I arrived. Because I had some bleeding and needed to see someone urgently, I just phoned the Matilda hospital and saw the first doctor available. This happened to be Dr Patrick Chan who I was very happy with. If you search this website you will find recommendations of other doctors too. The doctor you choose will only be able to deliver at certain private hospitals and he or she can tell you what these are. The next step for me was to call the hospitals and arrange to take a look around to see what suits your needs. My favourite of the private hospitals was the Matilda, purely because the baby can stay with you the whole time you stay there. A lot of the other private hospitals keep the baby in a nursery apart from feeding times, this didn't suit me - but everyone's different.

I found the idea of giving birth Hong Kong a pretty scary prospect at first, being newly arrived from the UK. The Matilda is lovely and the idea of going there made me feel very comfortable. However, as we got more used to being in Hong Kong I changed my mind and am now using the public system and going to the Queen Mary hospital. So, although you don't get the same level of comfort in the public system, the medical care you receive is as good if not better than many private hospitals can provide. I feel very confident that I will have a good experience at the Queen Mary. (I should add that we don't have maternity insurance so would have had to pay the full cost of a private hospital which can be expensive and pretty unpredictable - I'm glad we decided to save the money!).

I'm sure others will reply with recommendations on doctors you might like to use, I've heard good things about Dr Joe Chan and Dr Sally Ferguson as well as Patrick Chan who I used. Once you get the ball rolling with a doctor's appointment everything will start to fall into place. Good luck.

Dink is offline Registered User
    P.S. I should say that obviously if you decided to go public then your private doctor could not be there at the delivery. This doesn't bother me, but of course everyone has different expectations and preferences.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Congralutations !! no need to worry... HK is a great place to give birth and have fun with a baby !
    The choice of the hospital depends on your maternity insurance, if you are covered, then a private one is great. Still, any public hospital will give you a great support and all the medical care you need.
    The main point is to find a doctor, he will follow your pregnancy, be there at the birth (depending on which hospital he can go to, generally every obs can deliver in 2 or 3 different hospitals), he will register you in the hospital, and will introduce you to a pedetrician who will be there at birth. So you see... very easy, just have to find someone you like !
    If you make a few research on these forums, you will see that a few names are coming back often. I chose mine (Dr Choy) because the place was easy to go to, and I love her ! (Dr Choy, not the place ;).
    Enjoy it !

DB_mum is offline Registered User
    thanks for all this, it is very helpful.
    I do not want to be separated from my baby at the hospital so i will choose accordingly. Having a unknown medical team at the hospital is less of a problem to me.
    I will look for a doctor that suits me based on this forum's recommendations.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    If you decide to go to the Matilda, some of the doctors that are popular and deliver there are Dr Sally Ferguson, Dr Lucy Lord and Dr Ghosh. Dr Dawkins was also popular, but he's gone back to Australia and I'm not sure about his replacement.

They are all listed in the directory on this website (http://www.geobaby.com/directory/hea...gynecologists/) and if you search on the doctor names in the forums you'll find some discussion / recommendations on them.

I gave birth at the Matilda (with Dr Sally Ferguson) and loved it. We had insurance cover with my husband's work - thank goodness! It's very expensive if you had to pay out of your own pocket!

Good Luck.
    Belinda

cyberfish88 is offline Registered User
    As for the public system, the hospital is decided by where you live. Since your name is DBmom, I assume this means you are living in Discovery Bay? If that is the case then you should be able to deliver at Queen Mary Hospital in Pokfulam. I gave birth there in March and was very happy with the experience and care. The best part was my daughter was with me the whole time, except for a quick bath in the morning every day.

You can also find lots of stories and reviews of Queen Mary by searching old messages.

Good luck choosing and happy pregnancy!!

carang is offline Registered User
    congratulations & welcome!

this is a VERY common set of questions, if you do a search you will find dozens of threads with hundreds of helpful responses.

good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast