Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Rotavirus vaccine?

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User

Rotavirus vaccine?

Hi, I saw this Rotarix vaccine in the doc clinic and thought it seems useful... wonder if any mummies have given your baby this and if it's safe/ necessary/ side effects in your baby after..? Love to hear your thoughts or experience to share.
    Thanks!

spockey is offline Registered User
    This came up when my bub and I were still in Sydney. Some parents went ahead and did it... particularly those who were travelling (outside of Australia) while bub was under three months.

We never got around to getting it as we were told that once bub was over 3 or 4 months, there was no point.

mambo is offline Registered User
    My eldest son ended up in the hospital at 2.8 yrs old with the Rotavirus last year. It was not pleasant. The symptoms he had were vomitting and diarhea and it took a toll on him I think. He had to be hospitalized to have IV in him. I would recommend it but it IS optional though. I wish I had known about it earlier!

reei is offline Registered User
    rotavirus is now compulsory in certain countries, such as australia.

louisouis is offline Registered User
    Will recommend it, my son had diarrhea due to salmonella (must have put something dirty into his mouth) but the pediatrician said that luckily he had the rota virus vaccine before thus prevented it from getting too severe.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My babies had it. It's part of the programme in the US, where they were born. They were born end of November, winter time (we lived in the Midwest), and got it at 2, 4 and 6 months, so basically over the winter. Rotavirus is very dangerous (not life threatening) to babies and every year thousands of babies end up in the hospital because of rota (mainly severe dehydration). My children had no side effects, a little runny poo maybe once (it's a living virus) but other than that none. Recommend it although it depends on the circumstances. For us with brutal cold winters, etc. it was an easy decision.

yuukalim0404 is offline Registered User
    Thanks, had bb taken the first dose today. She is almost 8 weeks and I don't wish to miss the recommended period.