Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

when to stop lifting?

jzb
    jzb is offline Registered User

when to stop lifting?

My 3 year old was having a problem with staying dry through the night. We've been successfully lifting him at around 11pm and he hasn't had a wet bed at all since. Wonderful.

But now I've no idea when to stop lifting him at night. Is it just trial and error? Or are there signs to look for to know when to stop?

Thanks for your help.

MLBW Guest
    I don't have a 3-year-old but had younger brothers and sisters and my brother had a similar situation. I think it depends on how long you've been doing this. Once you establish a habit of getting your son up at 11 pm, maybe he will wake himself up at the same time. I think you have to give it a few weeks (or months) and then just one night try to see if he will wake himself up on his own. My guess is that if you've established a rhythm with him that he will--but you have to let the habit get established first. That's my best guess. :0)

jzb
    jzb is offline Registered User
    Thanks. I may just keep going for the moment and see how we go. It's certainly preferable to changing wet bed sheets every night!

mushi is offline Registered User
    try taking him to the loo as late as possible before he goes to bed...don;t give him too much water to drink at night....put a rubber sheet underneath your bed sheet and leave him to decide when to get up. i think 3 yrs is old enough for them to realise and wake up by themselves....or hold-it on till morning.