Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

anyone have Burping, or belching, and flatulence during pregenacy

carey is offline Registered User

anyone have Burping, or belching, and flatulence during pregenacy

Hi, I hesitated to ask this because it's a little embarrassing. I am seeing an Ob the first time in three weeks. But I want to get some advise to release my discomfort before speaking to her.

I am about 8 weeks now. Every time after I eat my meal, I feel bloated. Then I start burping, or belching, and flatulence.

I had this condition before I was pregnant. But it has become more severe now.

I am aware of that I am lactose intolerant. I read about what food would produce gas. But many of these food seem to be important for pregnancy.

I want to ask those of you who know about this about what to eat and do to help my situation.

Thanks.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Grin and bear it?
    I'm definitely more gassy now that I'm pregnant. And not just unsmelly ones...:(
    I heard that some women become (more) lactose intolerant when they're pregnant.
    I don't know what foods not to eat. Presumably the usual suspects? Dairy, broccol, cauliflower, I don't know what else.
    At least it's only 9 months...

MLBW Guest

Lightbulb

I think what you're experiencing is common. Also, it's not just the food. It has to do with your hormonal changes as well--my OBGYN told me that often women have flatulence around their period time and it is hormone-induced. The same thing can be true in pregnancy. Also, remember, your body is adjusting to a baby taking up more space--which means your intestines are being pushed and squished--as well as your digestive tract. When people have abdominal surgery often they have a lot of belching and flatulence because of the doctors "messing with their innards" as well. My problem later on was indigestion. I would drink a glass of water and get horrible acid reflux and heart burn. It was to the point where I was popping tums while I was in labor. I also am somewhat lactose intolerant. During pregnancy I did eat cheese--but a nutritionalist a long time ago suggested eating milder cheeses like mozarella that are more easily digested. If nothing else, taking Lactaid or Beano during pregnancy is safe so that is another route to try:

Simethicone is a medication found in Gas-X and several other OTC gas-relief products, and it acts by causing gas bubbles to dissolve before they are expelled. Beano, another OTC remedy, contains an enzyme that aids in the digestion of some complex carbohydrates contained in beans and some gas-forming vegetables. Women who are lactose-intolerant may benefit from lactase-containing remedies (e.g., Lactaid) that contain an enzyme to help the digestion of dairy products.
    from: http://www.revolutionhealth.com/heal...pregnancy-safe

carey is offline Registered User
    Thank you ladies. I feel assured that I am not alone.

Since the last time I wrote, this situation has been coming and going. Some days it only takes a glass of water like MLBW's said to make me feel gas up. Someday I can just eat anything without a problem.

"Grin and bear it?" Shenzhennifer said is the only thing I can do in the bad days.

I took Beano before pregnancy for gas and heartburn problems. But people just told me to be careful with any medicine during pregnancy. Knowing more about it, I would give it a try in my bad days.

Thank you ladies.

MLBW Guest
    Carey, the link above says that beano is safe during pregnancy but you could ask your OBGYN about it.

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    Hi ladies,

I'm now 21 weeks and have started having serious problems with gas. I mean, I noticed before that I was burping a bit more frequently, but now it feels like my stomach is going to explode anytime I eat or drink the smallest quantity, no matter how bland! Any have a similar problem? The worst part is, I'm still working (I'm a private tutor and part-time NET) and it's started interfering with my ability to work!

Any suggestions? Should I see my doc? I have an appointment next week with my Ob/Gyn, should I move it up, or maybe just see my GP?

I'm at my wits' end here so any feedback is appreciated!

putput is offline Registered User
    Gaviscon helped me. It was unbearable when I didn't take it. I also avoided garlic and chilli which seemed to make it worse.

samali is offline Registered User
    Eating crackers also help me or any biscuits as it has soda bi carb in it.I am 37 weeks now and still have this problem....well a little time left