Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Most desired school for 2yr old?

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    Yes, it is very common to let the little children going to pre-nursery school in HK. 9 out of 10 of the friends will do so. Another 1 is a full time mother and she can teach her child by herself. For HK women, most of us have to go to work. My child starts going to pre-nursery school at 2 years old. He cried only on the 1st day and he enjoys going to school so much.

mosmom is offline Registered User
    gabriel ma
    it's great that your son enjoys pre-nursery so much. you know, i'm certain that my daughter would be fine as well :)
    the thing that bothers me actually is that hk parents (or parents in hk) really get worried that their child will be "behind" if they don't sign him/her up at a KG asap. i just don't believe that a child who doesn't attend pre-nursery misses out on so much.
    you know, and after the child starts pre-nursery, the parents' comment is usually: "whaa, they're doing nothing special, just play, play, play, and sing songs, have snack and toilet time.." first, one can read the curriculum and inform oneself before signing up at the school. second, what else should a child that age learn or do?? i feel that the parents feel such an immense pressure or urge of competition that they're not satisfied with the content and teaching speed of ANY curriculum. dunno if that's just my observation?

EDIT: even SAHM's are keen to send their child/ren to pre-nursery. i don't think it has anything to do with the time that one has to spend with the child...
    Last edited by mosmom; 12-21-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    mosmom,

That's very true in HK. We get pressures from our friends, our work peers when we talk about which KG that our kids going to. Most of my friends (90%) sent their kids to those famous private KG (e.g. Kentville, St. Catherine's, Victoria...etc). Unavoidably, we are competing with each others.

carang is offline Registered User
    i have had a few comments at my playgroup (all from local mums) that they are concerned that the kids "play too much".... the class is 1.25 hours long and we spend no more than .25 hours "playing"! the rest of the time is "doing work", making crafts, singing, dancing and story time....

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yes - nursery may be a waste of time, but as a teacher myself I see how much "work" gets done. I believe that there are benefits to "play" that are overlooked by parents do not see the educational value of it...YES, there are benefits to play...belows a short article I read regarding this topic...

Developing through play

CHILDWISE by RUTH LIEW

PLAY is fun. Children need to play as much as they need food, shelter and clean air. Children do not need to cram their minds with information. When they play, they learn to be resourceful and seek out the right kind of information for use in their play.

In many homes today, children have more toys than their parents ever did but sadly, the toys are mostly remote-controlled or high-tech in nature. The places they play in are limited and structured. By the time they reach school age, children play only games arranged by their schools or clubs. They hardly make up their own games or play freely with their friends.

Play spaces at home, usually arranged by adults, have stuffed animals, board games and store-bought toys all kept in plastic storage boxes. Some, kept high up on the shelves, are inaccessible to young children. They have to rely on adults to get the toys. When adults take over what children can do for themselves, they will lose opportunities to be creative and imaginative.

Unfortunately I think it is the system that is making us all nervous and uptight about sending our kids early to school....unfortunately from the schools point of view, they find it much easier to screen applications (some schools have over 200 applications for 10 spots) than interview each student, that's simply not possible. This is the easiest for them. Therefore, unless the culture of the schools change, there is really not much us parents can do but to make sure our kids are given the best chance to get into a school that fits their learning type. Would I send my 2 year old to a nursery? From a teachers point of view, yes. Would I take my kid out of school to leave for a family vacation? Probably. Would I question the amount of learning at the school? No because learning does not only happen within a school setting. But, then, why send your child to school, isn't that ironic? Yes, but society is built that way and to not follow the norm puts you at a disadvantage, to me it's as plain simple as that.

leslie...
    we all agree. a child's work IS play... it's many of the "local" parents that can't understand this concept...

Tong.kate is offline Registered User
    Hi, all

just want to share that I, myself, a working mom who has a son, (turn to three very soon). I do think attend playgroup is worth, particularly when you have only 1 child and no experience to deal with toddlers. Joining playgroup, allows child can freely exposure different items and social. You also can see how teacher lead the session, how other parents interact with their toddlers, how your toddler behave. Sometimes, it will provide you a good insight that some areas which you may overlook, or some areas you find yourself overworry. Some playgroup, like offered by good kinder, do offer sand, water play, arts (painting in the wall)...etc. I really think it is very good exposure and I enjoyed a lot. As a working mother, most of time, my maid accompany my son to join the playgroup, she took a lot of picture and let me see, I can see my son enjoyed so much. If you have 1 child and want to get more exposure to your child and yourself, it is not bad to join playgroup. I personally find the playgroup in a kindergarden with outdoor playgroup is good. It is best to attend 2-3 times per week, as child will enjoy/learn a lots in a familiar environment. (Jointing different playgroup in every day is not very good.) Some claim that you can self organize playgroup, which is good provided you can have a quite stable member (including adult and child) and hold it regularly.

This is my personal view. And I really enjoy to review his picture/video taken in his playgroup. Anyway, give yourself a try, then you will know whether you buy the concepts of playgroup/pre-nursery or not.

Cheers.

hi kate,
    i agree with you. there is nothing wrong with playgroups at all.
    where the problem lies is with parents competing to get their children into a "good" kindergarten, so they can get into a "good" primary school, so they can get into a "good" secondary school etc....

the pressure placed on some children is phenomenal and not good for their development.

parents are concerned that their children are "only" playing. they don't understand that when a child "plays" with blocks, he/she is learing spacial awareness and honing hand-eye coordination etc.

THAT's where the problem lies, not with joining playgroups.

have a great christmas!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast