Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

GBS & QMH delivery

LdeJ is offline Registered User

GBS & QMH delivery

I have recently found out that I am a Group B Strep carrier and will be delivering at the Queen Mary. I am looking for advice from anyone who has experienced a natural delivery at QMH who has had GBS. What are their procedures during labour and do they take baby away when born for monitoring and therefore elimiating the possibility for baby to be kept at your bedside?

Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I don't know about group B strep - but my baby was born last week at Queen Mary and she was born 38 hrs after my waters broke and they took her to the Special Care ward for monitoring. From what I saw there, it seemed like they were very "cautious" with things like that and kept the babies under observation for the first 24 hrs pretty commonly... I was really upset about my baby being there because I wanted to exclusively breastfeed, but they already gave her formula as soon as she got up there - even though I fed her right after she was delivered!! But everything was ok in the end and she didn't have any infection and was allowed back with me the next day - but it was really stressful for me. I wish they'd just monitored her more in the ward with me - but I understand that they want to be extra cautious and safe and everything. And they ARE one of the safest hospitals in Hong Kong for you and your baby... but a little less "accommodating" to your desires, I think...

carang likes this.

kairo is offline Registered User

I have to agree vir Nicole, I also delivered at QMH and my baby was also taken to Special care for monitoring, where she then stayed for a week! You just have to prepare yourself that they ARE VERY CAUTIOUS and will rather keep the baby in the Special Care Ward for monitoring if they deem it necessary. I just made an arrangement with the nurses there to come in for breastfeeding - not the best arrangement for the first week of a newborn's life, but baby and I survived.

carang likes this.

dueJuly is offline Registered User

I had a natural delivery 4 months ago at QMH and was positive GBS.

After my waters broke I was given IV medication. My labour was slow to progress and they were very keen move things along after the waters broke. I ended up having to be induced.

After delivery baby was taken to the special care nursery for observation for 24 hours. After babe is given the all clear you can have her at your bed.

Yes they were very thorough and careful. I found they were too quick to suggest supplementing with formula and I was just too weak and unsure to protest much. You must be very assertive and speak your mind at all times.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more concerns

carang likes this.

MacauMum is offline Registered User

I also have been diagnosed with Strep B and am delivering at QMH any day now. Does the baby absolutely have to go to Neonatal dept?
    Last time i gave birth there they put my daughter in Neonatal because there had been meconium in my waters ( which I expect baby was quite distressed after a failed 48 hour induction), and then they wanted to scan her and keep her under observation because of an enlarged fontanelle.
    Anyway I have a terrible recollection of my 2 post c-section days at QMH before they discharged me, but not having my baby near, dragging myself like a 150 year old woman up to breastfeed every 3 hours, walking at a 90 degree angle holding on to the walls for dear life... Giving in to letting them use formula right after delivery "you need to rest, we'll use a cup" ( yeah right!).
    So I am quite bitter, I realise that my experience is not the worst and that it was in bubba's interest but I really would like to have a better start to my life with my boy to be... are they being overly cautious and if my son were to catch my strep B would he not benefit from being on my skin, feeding colostrum on demand for the first few days of his life rather than alone in a plastic box with his mum not necessarily there when he needs to feed?

carang is offline Registered User

personally, i think that if there is any risk that the baby could be infected, it would be in both of your best interests to have the hospital be cautious!

to me, the most important thing was the health and safety of my babies. if that meant that they had to be upstairs in the special care ward (which they both were for 24 hours), so be it. in the long run, we have the rest of their lives. yes, of course it would be nicer to have them with me for that time.... but their health is/was more important than my wishes/desires.

and yes, i let them use formula for the first 24 hours... i then went on to successfully breastfeed both of them. and yes, they did use a cup. i saw them do it with other babies, too. they then asked if i wanted to learn how to do by cup just in case. i figured why not? did i use it? a couple of times....

lesliefu and dressuphk like this.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Safety for the baby is most important. I delivered at Matilda and my nan**** ended up at QMH for 10days 4of which were critical and from the beginning the used drip and formula. I went three times daily to deliver expressed milk so being in the same building is a little inconvenience. When baby came out I breast fed without a problem, but was appreciative that ,y baby would use a bottle which meant other people could feed baby my expressed milk via a bottle and I got a couple hours to myself once in awhile.

dressuphk likes this.

MacauMum is offline Registered User

Sorry i think my ranting about my last delivery was misleading. I completely understand that the baby's safety is most important. My main concern isn't establishing breast feeding, or what is more convenient or pleasant for me, but considering they leave them in the box to sleep aside from a few tests scattered throughout the day, I am asking whether the baby wouldn't be better off with me benefitting at leisure from all the antibodies in my colostrum and from breath regulation from closeness with his mother.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast