Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Preservatives Make My Son Batty!

MLBW Guest
    No problem, Katelyn. Yeah, I couldn't even believe my eyes--the reaction was so stunning. Now I know for sure I have to be really careful (and keep the grandparents from feeding him that stuff too--that will be the challenge!)

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    I'm usually pretty careful about what my son eats as well - with the odd exception for special occasions.
    I couldn't believe it today though when he returned from his Stepping Stones pre-school class (for children ages 2yrs 4mths to 2yrs 8mths) with a LARGE bag full of candy, chocolate and other junk food for Halloween. All preservative laden rubbish.
    The school had given a bag to each child!
    He was bouncing off the walls - right before lunch and nap time. I was not impressed and will be speaking to them on Monday. It just doesn't seem appropriate to me.
    Am I overreacting?

silentspace is offline Registered User
    Oh okay i didnt know it was the preservatives...think i read something about the sugar before.thanks for sharing MLBW.
    Aussiemum...that definitely is not an over reaction.They shouldnt be sending in such garbage for kids to munch on especially from school

spockey is offline Registered User
    Hi Katelyn

We made Vanilla Cookies last weekend. Used Donna Hay's recipe book. I'll put up the recipe if you want it... not sugar laden and the dough is perfect for getting toddlers to cut them into shapes themselves. He did a couple of pretty good ones. It was a great way for him to identify shapes too!

I got a Playdough baking set from ToysRUs too so that he could have his own rolling pin, cookie cutters to help. It was really fun!

We've also tried homemade muffins... he loved it too! This weekend, it'll be either jam cookies or choc chip.

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Hi Spockey..
    Yes I would love the vanilla cookie recipe! sounds like your son had lots of fun... plus great idea with the playdough set.
    ~Theresa~

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Aussiemum, you're definitely not over reacting, I don't allow my two year daughter to eat candies or chocolate. I have to keep reminding eveyone to not give it to her, especially to my friends that give their kids candies. (I know they don't understand why I'm doing this) I know that people think I'm way too strict or crazy to not allow my two year to "be a kid".
    If I wanted to give sweets to my child, I'll give her a piece of fruit... that's sweet too... why does any child need to be given candies when there's so much more other foods that are good for them and taste good out there. If I give my child a good "food" foundation then hopefully when she's older, she'll take it with her and be healthy.
    ~Theresa~

nursie is offline Registered User
    I've stopped giving my 3 and 2yo sweets too. Gosh they were hyper and neither one of them slept well. It has been two weeks now and both are sleeping much better and throw way less tantrums!! I've also put the whole family on a gluten-free diet, which isn't as yucky/difficult as I initially thought. Finding some good gluten-free bread is a problem though. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12