Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preservatives Make My Son Batty!

MLBW Guest

Exclamation Preservatives Make My Son Batty!

I figured that this is a timely topic as the holidays are upon us and that means loads of sugar and snacks available for the kiddies (and us).

I had read about it (and ) but today I saw it for the first time in person.

We were at play group and it was a costume-themed meeting today for Halloween. Also the kids were having snacks. My son was a bit hungry so someone handed me a cup of Fruity Cheerios. If you don't know what these are, they are similar to Fruit Loops but they are Cheerios--basically, sugar and flavor coated Cheerios.

My son really liked them and ate a few baby handfuls. Then, he went crazy! It was like my child had been swapped with a totally different little human being! He was like freaking out--and this lasted most of the afternoon. He was sitting in his high chair later for lunch and he was throwing a fit, the likes of I have never seen before. Totally out of character for him! Then he would just like space out and stare off into nowhere. We ruled out a fever or other sickness.

Anyway, I was thinking, "What in the world?!" Then I thought, "Oh, the Cheerios!" Up until today, my son had really never been given a heavily sugared, artificial-colored and flavored snack. So, needless to say, we won't be doing that again anytime soon.

My question is this: Has anyone else had this experience? AND What types of snacks do you feed your baby or children that avoid the preservatives and colorings?

spockey is offline Registered User
    We've had the same experience with any preservative laden food including bread. He's already bouncing off the wall with his naturally spirited self! So he gets preservative free snacks.
    Since the melamine scare, I've turned to baking my own cookies for him on the weekends. We make allowances for snacks from the Natural Confectionary Company though and Fish (the plain ones in a blue pack).
    Anything with articifial colouring sets him off too!

MLBW Guest
    Thanks Spockey,

What is the Natural Confectionary Company?

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

Check out

They make sweets with no artificial colours and flavours. I've seen them at Citysuper, 360 and Great supermarkets.

I've craved them myself during pregnancy and they taste great.

MLBW Guest
    Thanks Karmah!

silentspace is offline Registered User
    Sweets/Sugar make kids hyperactive thats why its best to avoid sweets.It seems honey is a good alternative.

MLBW Guest

Quote Originally Posted by silentspace View Post
    Sweets/Sugar make kids hyperactive thats why its best to avoid sweets.It seems honey is a good alternative.
    The research shows that it's actually the preservatives that have the most damaging effect.

He wasn't just hyper--he was having like emotional problems. He was showing symptoms of a reaction to it. My son can't have honey yet--he is less than 1-year-old. :0)

katelynBB is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom
    I feel the same way about giving food contained with perservatives to my 2 year old. Maybe that's why she throws these huge tantrums!
    Ever since we moved to hk, I haven't been to watching her diet more carefully...
    thanks for starting this thread, its reminded me to be more careful at what I buy. Food that are naturally made are just as good.

Spockey: what kinds of cookies do you make, I'm always looking for kid friendly recipes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast