Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

when babies turn 1

adahc is offline Registered User

when babies turn 1

Ok my baby is 10 months old and I need to know...

1. When the baby turns one, will he sleep longer and not wake up at night? At what age will they sleep better and learn to fall asleep on their own? AT the moment I still have to hold him to sleep..I hate the cry it out method so hoping that it will gradually be better overtime...

2. My baby is solely breastfed and still up at least once a night without fail. He hates formula and can only be on Nan HA milk. I'm so desparate to get him off my breast to the point that I'm willing to give him chocolate milk or whatever to get him off my breast! But how long do I have to wait after he turns one to try him on cow's milk. Or is there any delicious non cow's milk that baby will love??

Please tell me...I'm excited and look forward t your replies.

joshsmum is offline Registered User
    Hi,

My bubs is only 6.5 months old, so I can't respond to 1. (I'm still waiting for that too!)

But in regards to 2. I have read that they can go onto Cow's milk after 12 months. Here's a link with some reading:
    http://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/st...owsmilkexpert/
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-mil...-it_1334703.bc
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html

I've heard Goat's milk can also be a good alternative, but I'm not sure if you have to wait until 12 months for this either?

Belinda

mushi is offline Registered User
    hi adahc, going by my experience the longer u wait to give yr baby the bottle the smarter they get and refuse one...try this/. wait for a little longer time than his normal milk time say 15 mins more so that he is a little more hungry, then ask your helper sor someone to give him the bottle....always be around to substitute if he refuses but let them try for atleast 5 mins before u give up.....repeat this process using diff brands of bottles in case he is not comfortable using a particular one....i suggest giving formula and not any cow's or chocolate milk.

for night feeds my son woke up once a night till he was about 1.5 yrs (not sure ) though....eventually he will stop by himself...after that i had to wake him up to go to the loo once at night since he never wore diapers after he turned one....but don;t worry this is quite natural and will pass by itself.

AndreaY is offline Registered User
    Don't think turning 1 is a magic gate you walk thru and suddenly he will learn to sleep by himself. My older daughter had always been a great sleeper until teething and I started the really bad habit of comforting her in my bed. Then I found out the older they get, the cleverer they are in knowing what to do to get what they want.

Although I did use the cry it out method which took me 4 days to rectify the problem, there are lots of other gentler methods as put forward in the threads here. They may take longer, but at least it's a step forward.

On the subject of milk, they can take cow's milk from 1 year old but I can tell you that my younger daughter adores goats milk formula over all others and I have tried many.

capital is offline Banned
    You will have to teach him to fall asleep by himself, he won't magically sleep all night when he is one. At this point he is doing what he knows. Is his feed at night a good quality I am hungry feed, or is it a need mom to fall back to sleep feed? With my first I was much more diligent about getting him to fall asleep by himself the first and when he was about 11 months old I went back to work, so before that I cut our his night breast feed, he cried the first night for awhile, and that was it, no problems. He was already used to falling asleep by himself in his crib for naps and when he went to bed. I still BF him right before bed but I put him in the crib before he was completely asleep.

With the second, I was not as carful about making sure he could fall sleep by himself and he woke up for a lot longer. I went back to work when he was 10 months old and worked full time, this time I was so exhausted I couldn't bring myself to deal with a night or two of crying, I quit work about 6 months later and id get him sleeping on his own. then a trip to HK I ended up sleeping with him (he was sick at the beginning of the trip) to get hm to fall asleep thw whole trip, 3 weeks, He also still BF then, but not normally in the night, when we got home during the jet lag phase, he learned to fall asleep on his own again by crying it out. I also shortly weanned him after this trip, he was 25 months.

At 10 months there would be no point in starting the bottle, he can drink out of a cup. When I went back to work each time, the children still BF a lot throught he day, and then were cut off in the day at their dayhomes, so both went a few weeks were they hardly drank anything, milk or otherwise during the day. Their care giver would give them warm milk in cup and they seemd to like that.

MLBW Guest
    I agree with the other women posting here--sleeping patterns are mostly a pattern of training--not associated with age. My mom says that a doctor she knew had children that didn't sleep through the night until they were 3+ years old! At some point we all have to "bite the bullet" and come up with a plan that works for us to get our babies/children sleeping through the night. The Cry-It-Out method didn't work for my son either--it only backfired and made him more terrified/unwilling to lay down in his crib. I found that once we set him on a solid eating schedule (as well as bottle schedule) that helped a lot to get him into a better sleeping pattern. Every baby is different and some take longer to develop a good pattern but I would say that by 12 months (or much earlier) babies should be able to pretty much sleep through the night with little disturbances. I recommend analyzing your schedule and seeing what things might be preventing your baby from sleeping soundly (late naps, tummy not full when going to sleep) By making yourself a "crutch" that he needs in order to go to sleep you are really setting yourself up for a long haul. If the only way he can sleep is by laying on you then you will forever be in demand for that purpose.

adahc is offline Registered User
    last night he woke up at 10pm, I tried to put him to sleep but failed so I breast fed him (both breasts). He then woke up again at 1am. I know then that he can not be hungry, so I hold him and put him back to bed. It took me 10 mins,. he woke up again at 5.30am and wouldn't go back to sleep alhough I fed him. So I come to he conclusion that he probably still needs a feed at night, not 2!
    He doesn't like bottle, he will take sippy cup when he feels like it and not a lot though. I might try to get the helper to feed him milk by using sippy cup during the day and see how it goes.

That's what I fear...somehow in my mind I hope that trning one is a magic gate that I will reach and everyhing willbe better. The question is should I try cow's milk on his birthady or should I wait for a month or 2? If he's allergic to ow'smilk, how will he eat his birthday cake???
    I take it that if he can drink cow's milk, it should then means that the chance that he will sleep through the night is increased?

LeahH is offline Registered User
    It will make no difference to his sleeping thru the night if he's taking cows milk - no magic solution there either unfortunately. At 10 mnths he really shouldn't need a feed a night, if he's truly hungry he's probably not taking in enough milk/food in the day.

Maybe look into a gentle method of sleep training - there are many threads here and support sites on the net.

You can try cows milk in a sippy cup when he's one, if there's a reaction you could try goats/soy milk (only powedered form of goats milk available in HK). At one he's prob. not going to eat much cake anyway, but you can buy/make one without cows milk easily also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast