Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Uh...Weird.

MLBW Guest

Question Uh...Weird.

So, I stopped breastfeeding my son 6 months ago. And...last night I discovered that I am STILL LACTATING! What?! I haven't BF or pumped in six straight months! I only BF/pumped for 5 months.

I'm not really concerned with whether this is "normal" or not as I've come to discover that with BF, there is a wide range of "normal."

I am just so surprised that my body is still producing milk when there has been absolutely no demand for it to for 6 months already!

Has anyone else experienced something like this? How long did it take your milk to "dry up" post BF?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User
    Generally it takes at least six weeks for all milk to go after the last breastfeed. With it taking longer for the longer you breastfed for.

I heard of one project that was researching this found that one mother still had some milk after 13 years! It isn't a problem until it is in such large quantities that it causes you embarrassment and discomfort.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I stopped BF 3 months ago and still have milk too... didn't really care about it... stock is ready in case n#2 arrives ;))

mushi is offline Registered User
    yes of crse it is quite normal....the quantity may be minimal but it is still there....i guess mother nature's way of having supply ready just in case!!

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Sarah View Post
    Generally it takes at least six weeks for all milk to go after the last breastfeed. With it taking longer for the longer you breastfed for.

I heard of one project that was researching this found that one mother still had some milk after 13 years! It isn't a problem until it is in such large quantities that it causes you embarrassment and discomfort.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    That is crazy! Thirteen years! I really hope that isn't the case with me because I think it's a big gross (personal thoughts).