Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moses basket or crib?

Starlight is offline Registered User

Moses basket or crib?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted your opinion on whether I should get a Moses basket to start off with and then get a crib or just get a crib altogether?

The space in my flat is limited and in order to be closer to the baby initially, only a Moses basket would fit in my bedroom. I would only be able to fit the crib in my living room which is not ideal if I have to run everytime the baby cries.

Problem is, what do I do with the Moses basket afterwards? It seems like such a waste to buy it and only using it for 3 months.

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

plumtree is offline Registered User

I used a moses basket for the same reasons as you've given. I bought mine second hand, and it was great- portable, it rocked baby to sleep, baby was very comfy in it. It holds baby toys now, or you could always sell it again second hand? There are also other co-sleepers out there, if you're interested. Other people would probably have more info.

take care!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

I have the same space issues and ended up buying a baby hammock as they last longer than 3 months and take up less room than a crib. Baby doesn't arrive till December so I can't tell you much about it, but I've heard lots of good stories and its widely used in hospitals in Australia for premmies and babies with colic.

http://www.ambybaby.com/

Starlight is offline Registered User

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually, where can you buy a baby hammock in Hong Kong?

LeahH is offline Registered User

I would definitely recommend the hammock, mine was in hers until 7 months and I'm about to use it again for number 2. It's great as you can travel with it easily and move it around the house room to room. You can order the Amby online from Australia at the site that Karmah lists above, or buy a different brand (not sure which one) from Modern Baby in Wellington St. I like the Amby though as it's organic, unbleached cotton.

As Leah says the Amby Baby hammock has to be ordered on-line from Australia, they actually ship from their Shanghai factory. I think shipping was AUD$100.

I also found this New Zealand hammock, but the dimensions were a bit bigger and wouldn't fit in our room.
    http://www.naturessway.co.nz/

The one in Modern Baby has a stand which is alot bigger, but it does look good!

This is the hammock in Modern Baby

http://www.hushamok.com/

MLBW Guest

Hi. Instead of doing the Moses basket you might try a baby co-sleeper, especially if you plan to breastfeed.
    Co Sleeper

I bought my lower-end Moses basket for about $50 USD but most of the nicer ones are quite a bit more. Even simple ones like the one below are about $130-150 USD:

Moses Basket

Also, as you mentioned, they are bulkier and harder to store (especially in HK where space is lacking). That's not the case with the co-sleeping mat.

We ended up co-sleeping with our son last winter until he was about 3 months old--simply because it was so cold and we only had one heater and had to all snuggle in one room and didn't have anything but a bigger crib for him--that was in the other room. We didn't have any problems.

Just a suggestion that might help.