Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cloth Diapers: Flushable inserts?

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User

Cloth Diapers: Flushable inserts?

So, I know there have been a lot of threads about the benefits of cloth diapers, etc, but I was wondering if there were such things as flushable inserts for those diapers? I'm planning on using cloth diapers from the start, and with the runny-ness of newborn poop, I can't imagine washing would be effective, let alone fun. As I look into this more, I have also come to realize that flushables might be useful for traveling (as I will be doing when the LO is 1 month old) as well.

Anyone have any names of brands of cloth diapers that have these inserts? Where can I get them in HK? Are they super expensive?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Koan is offline Registered User
    gDiapers use flushable inserts, but I don't know if you can get them here. I've never looked.

They are more expensive than normal cloth dipes, and you still have to wash the covers anyway, so I doubt they're any 'easier' than normal CDs.

Washing is easy. Really! You just throw it all in the machine and that's it. No rinsing, no soaking, nothing.

ladybug is offline Registered User
    G diapers are available here but yes, quite expensive. Also, I had many problems with them leaking. I got so frustrated with them that I threw them away.

However, you can get flushable liners for cloth diapers. The liners go on top of the inside of the diaper touching the baby's skin. I use them for my baby. I have rice paper kind. I know that Eugene Club sells the flushable liners for the Bambino Mio cloth diaper system but I've never used them.

However, runny breast fed poop is not a big deal at all. It's actually when the babies start solids that starts to get messy and really require rinsing. I didn't even bother rinsing the diapers out by hand before washing. I just did a rinse cycle first then did a full wash. Once a week I'd do a cycle without clothing and just bleach. Now that my LO is on solids, I find myself scraping and rinsing before washing. Thankfully, my LO is quite regular so I know when to use the liners. I put one on and just flush it.

geiboyi is offline Registered User
    Mothercare sells 'smart baby' (?) paper liners, but for an OUTRAGEOUS markup. Something like 2.50 in the UK, but $95 here. Anyway, easy to use, and flushable, unless you live somewhere with a septic tank and don't mind digging it out once in a while... (the liners appear not to break down - just a warning).

little mum is offline Registered User
    I saw flushable bio-liners in Mother Organic.
    www.mother-organic.com

Gumboots is offline Registered User
    I have tried the bambino mio liners and the kushies (both available from bumps to babes). The mio liners seem nicer because they are softer and bigger but for us, they would just get all squashed up and not cover the nappy.

The kushies ones are on a roll (like toilet paper). They seem rougher but work very well to contain newborn poo. Bubs seems quite happy with them - I actually think they keep him dryer.

Both are flushable.

Hope that helps!

jjmum is offline Registered User
    I use Mother-ease diapers, and they have these flushable inserts that can make cleaning job a lot easier. You can call their service hotline 2615 2830 to reserve, I just did that last week to reserve 4 rolls, as there is no stock available at the moment, and apparently they have a waiting list for this product!

$150 for a roll of 150 sheets, more expensive than Mio, but the quality is so much better, with no bleaching or chlorine.

hannah.e.law is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys! Just one more follow-up question:

What I'm understanding is that some are bio-degradable and some aren't. Is that correct? Any ideas which ones are which? As I'd really rather be environmentally friendly, even if I do use the flushable inserts now and then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast