Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

For "Fat" Ladies

adahc is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Buy a book called The PHA workout by Matt Roberts and follow it. You can do it at home as it requirs no equipment what so ever. If you won't lose weight after that I think THAT would be a miracle.
    I used it before I was pregant and when I WAS fit. Most of the people who into exercise and fitness use it. It's the toughest exercise, get to the point, won't take long and they have the steps for begginners, interrmediate and advance.
    No more excuse and you will be surprised of how tough it it, how tired you are from those exercise and how simple they looks.
    Go and buy it.

izzy is offline Registered User
    Koan, is there a weight watchers in Hong Kong? Could you please send me the info.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    There is a WW in HK

MLBW Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie mum View Post
    MLBW- one of my DVDs is a series of 10min workouts. some days I just aim to do 10mins...if I get an extra 10mins done as well then that is a bonus. I have been told I am better to do 10min 6 days a week than 60min once a week!
    I have always found that when you are not quite ready to tackle the weight you can come up with a million reasons why you can't do exercise or eat well. As soon as you are mentally ready to really give it a go you find a way.
    I'm almost there but not quite!
    am thinking maybe WW is a good idea... I'll look into it
    I don't think I am making excuses as I have already lost about 15-20 pounds in 3 months because I do eat healthy (and not much in a day, actually--probably 2 small meals--don't drink soda and never have and drink water and green tea) and I do exercise 5 times a week for at least an hour each time--sometimes twice a day--always at least 30 minutes of interval cardio!

It's just that I'm not a native HK person and I find the setup in HK is not condusive to what I have been doing here--as we don't have a car so getting to the gym takes an hour+ on the bus--and all that jazz. So I was looking for more tips specific to HK. I am so not looking forward to coming back to HK and just not having much available in that department.

I hope you can meet your goals and am glad it seems like you've found stuff in HK that personally works for you.

MLBW Guest
    Okay, for the record, I just want the ladies on here to know I'm not making excuses--my track record shows that I have been consistently "keeping at it" and losing weight. I'm just trying to gear up to do the same thing in HK--which is a totally different ballgame.

I know for sure that a 10-minute exercise isn't going to get me where I want to go. I have been walking in HK--I walk A LOT--even to go to the grocery store where I live is a 40-minute round-trip journey and I push my son in the stroller and carry all the heavy sacks of groceries back (then haul them up 3 flights of stairs as well as my 25-pound son) and I have to do that at least 2 or 3 times a week because we don't have much room to store food in our house.

I also walk to the train station which is about a 30-minute one-way walk--I mean, I think I've put probably 100+ miles on the stroller since my son was born--so much so that I have to replace it now because we have literally worn it out!

So, I am motivated, I have been doing good--it's not for a lack of trying. I don't sit around and eat bon bons all day (or any junk food or soda). I am the sole person running the house so I have a lot of work to do each day and it's physical.

Thank you for your tips. I will look into some of them. Ugh...HK, here I come. *Sigh*

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by izzy View Post
    Koan, is there a weight watchers in Hong Kong? Could you please send me the info.

I actually joined WW Australia. I used my sister's address to sign up. I had a look at the HK version but I don't eat much Chinese food (no more yum cha ) and figured the Aus version would suit my diet better.

7. #15 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I'm kind of in the same boat as MLBW and megan2008. My family has a history of struggling with weight, from both mother's and father's sides. My father even had to do Atkins about 8 eight years ago to get to a healthy weight, and he's still struggling with it. Five years ago I weighed 230 pounds.

Since then, I have become very active, walking everywhere, and until I moved from the US to HK, I did triathlons, even finishing an Ironman in 2007 (still weighing 180 pounds mind you!). What I found out was that 1) the food here was so covered in sauce that I didn't notice the extra sugar. And 2) I couldn't exercise the way I wanted to. Getting to and from the gym was more effort than I was willing to do and my old US style of just going outdoors to workout (run, bike, swim) wasn't going to work on the streets of HK.

Because I know "how" to work out, and from years of training, my body is fine with even extreme amounts of exercise. I hide my weight well because I tend to be more muscular but it's the loosing of fat weight that I struggle with. What I ended up doing was hiring a nutritionist, rather than a PT. I found that she could advise me on good foods to buy when I eat out, and good ones to cook when I'm at home. She also helped me track, not just my weight, but also body fat, etc. and helped me decide wether to focus on the upper middle or lower body, depending on where the most/least progress was being made. Not only that, but because she had me keep a food journal, it made me more aware of what I ate, and when. And she held me accountable while not being overly restrictive about it, which for me was a big deal because my husband and I enjoy good food (it's one of our few common interests).

Now, because she was Asian, she was shocked that I was as heavy as I was and sometimes her goals for me seemed rather unrealistic (she mentioned getting me below 55kg at one point!), but we came to an understanding that I was looking for healthiness, not twiggy-ness. I worked with her really hard last winter and spring to loose 10kg, then when I finally got down to an acceptable (for me >70kg) weight, I got pregnant.

Now I'm beginning to freak out, as I'm finishing up my first trimester, and literally feeling the weight creep back along with the normal baby gain. But I'm sure that as soon as I'm able, I'm going to get back on track with her and do it all over again.

If any of you'd like the information for my nutritionist, as I'd highly recommend her (she has one office in Central near LKF and one somewhere else) feel free to PM me.

Also, maybe you ladies would like to get an exercise group together? I find that company always is good motivation, even if it's just for a walk. Not only that, but also someone else will be waiting for you, so more motivation to actually get out there! :treadmill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12