Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shenzhen Visa

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, just wanted to post an update to this.

Australian and UK passport holders can get a visa at the border at Lowu. The visa costs RMB160 for Aussies and over RMB400 for UK passport holders (sorry I can't remember the exact amount for UK). You need to pay in RMB although there is a "travel agency" there that will exchange HK$ for RMB for you. Notwithstanding this I would get the RMB before you go as it saves lining up at the travel agency and, if you need more RMB for shopping once you're through immigration, there are line ups for the ATMs on the mainland side.

US passport holders can not obtain a visa at the border.

soop is offline Registered User
    Sounds like things have got harder and more pricey, do you think it is worth going there still for a day of shopping?

Hi Soop, this was the first time I have been so I can't comment on whether it is getting harder or more pricey.

We did most of our shopping at the shopping centre at the train station. I thought it was a fun day out but didn't think it was much cheaper than HK. For instance many of the baby clothes were the same as at Stanley market and around the same price (even after I had bargained down to 30% of the asking price). For instance HK60-70 for a top for a 12 month old. Maybe I am just not patient enough with the bargaining! I would say that a trip probably isn't worth it unless you are really into fake designer handbags and jewellery. I am sure if you were more experienced and could be bothered to haggle for hours you could get some bargains.

One side trip I would recommend is to the Dafen Art Village. It takes about 20 minutes in a cab from the train station. There is every style of art you could imagine - from the old masters through to pop art and also several versions of the Mona Lisa! I bought two paintings and I am really happy with them and thought they were a bargain (even though a Chinese friend told me he could have got them for half the price!). I am sure they could copy and painting you care to choose....

carang is offline Registered User
    you can exchange it just before the hk immigration.
    we went last week.

soop is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the advice,
    made the trip today was an experience for sure :) There is a little exchange kiosk before HK immigration and once you pass through you can get your visa upstairs just before the china border. Cost me 160 rmb with an Irish passport. Had a great time haggling, was pretty quiet so i used that to my advantage :) Soon as i arrived i was 'befriended' and shown to all 'the best shops' was fun though and got some good deals, overall was a good time if you dont mind being asked by every shop for stuff, i may go back before i leave :)

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    carang - any good bargains did you have? me want to live vicariously through you...

Hmmm...either that exchange kiosk is new or my parents and I walked past it 3 times without noticing it (doh!)...

carang is offline Registered User
    i got a beautiful painting there (priced in stanley AFTER bargaining.... $600-700) for $200RMB!!! they were asking $800...

i was adamant with my bargaining there. a handbag they wanted $500 EACH! I got 3 for $450!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast